Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Values Vs. Markers

Greetings all, at my home game the other day a player who hosts a game regularly with markers (a chip = 1 unit no matter what color). He said my game takes longer because we use value chips (denominated). It seems correct, he gives out 40x the first BB and I give out 50x, but my games are three to four times as long as his.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Values Vs. Markers

The duration of your games has more to do with the stack to blinds ratio and the blind change intervals than anything else .
Old 10-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Values Vs. Markers

I'd guess it takes more time due to differences in the blind structure amd times like jay said.

However, you might be using too many denominations. If you're starting off with 50xBB stacks, you probably only need 3 different colours in play at any one time. For example, with blinds starting at 1/2, so that your stacks are 100, use chip denominations of 1/5/10. Then, when some people have been eliminated and the blinds get up to 5/10, you can remove the 1's and introduce 20 or 25 unit chips.

In fact, even if the stacks are 100xBB deep to start, you could still probably play reasonably well with only 3 colours, though you might want to do 1/5/20 instead of 1/5/10.