Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Default TPTK gets action early in $5 5kgtd

10 hands in so no real read apart from that I was far more worried about button than I was about bb (was fairly sure bb was drawing). Should I bet here, and if not, what should I be doing if button bets 1/2 pot and bb calls?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t1350)
UTG+1 (t3265)
MP1 (t1670)
MP2 (t5560)
MP3 (t4290)
Hero (t3300)
Button (t2605)
SB (t1840)
BB (t2960)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, Button calls t120, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90.

Flop: (t495) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, Button calls t350, BB calls t350, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t1545) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: TPTK gets action early in $5 5kgtd

such a sick spot, they both could be drawing with a million draws being out there. I bet 1200, if the button had a set I think he raises the flop with this board and two opps.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Fire again 1k+ range. I don't see a lot of ways out of this hand, although if someone comes over top I think you are beat 90% of the time.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fire again 1k+ range. I don't see a lot of ways out of this hand, although if someone comes over top I think you are beat 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There are just soooo many draws out there that letting a free one go seems really bad on the turn.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM

homanga,

and what will you do if someone comes over the top after you bet 1k+. i think it's really important to answer this question before you bet.

The first really difficult decision here is on the flop, where you have to decide if you want to commit with TPTK - while this is a relatively low TP.

If you decide you want to commit - which I wouldn't on this board - your bet size is too low. Against 3 opponents you have to make it at least pot size - cause your decisions on the turn get easier.

As I said with that many callers preflop on this board you have to be really aware that your TP might not be good. I would check the flop.

As played you have a big problem now on the turn with a horrible decision to make (which should have been avoided by checking that flop).

And I agree that we are committed now with TP - so betting an amount which will be called by worse hands is necessary.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As I said with that many callers preflop on this board you have to be really aware that your TP might not be good. I would check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding. We raised PF and hit a hand we were hoping to hit. The board is draw heavy and we want to check the flop? I don't think so. We very likely have the best hand and should bet to protect our hand/charge draws/for value against worse hands.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Flop bet is good. I'm bet/calling turn
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Sherman,

I think this is a typical hand where reverse implied odds work against us - and this board is horrible to play with a low TP - yes I would try to keep the pot here small - and I would have no problem laying down this hand (with this flop).

I think this is a good situation to stack off with AJ.

But of course I might be too defensive here.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sherman,

I think this is a typical hand where reverse implied odds work against us - and this board is horrible to play with a low TP - yes I would try to keep the pot here small - and I would have no problem laying down this hand (with this flop).

I think this is a good situation to stack off with AJ.

But of course I might be too defensive here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course reverse implied odds are working against us, but we still have a large equity in this pot which we should protect by betting the flop.

FWIW, if somone check/raised shoved on the flop, I would have no problem folding TPTK. So we aren't committing on the flop.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm not sure we have the large equity - there is a ton of possible holdings that have us already beat or get the odds they need to call.

As I said in the first post the bet size on the flop is too low - with a 350 bet in a 500 pot against 3 villains we protect nothing but give away great odds for all the drawing hands. But with betting more we will soon cross the commitment threshold.

I think this is a really complicated hand where bet sizes are most important.