Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Default got pulled over

So I was riding down a highway when all of a sudden my radar alarm goes off. I insta step off gas and then I see this red vic make a U turn through the median and light me up. He pulls me over, licence, insurance, registration. He says he pulls me over fro doing 80 in a 65. He prints out a ticket from his car, comes back and asks if I have any questions. I ask him if he was sure I was doing 80 he says yes. Now I am pretty confident I was not traveling at 80, but more like 78-79. I was late to class the highways were empty and I was pretty maticulous about not hitting the 80mph mark because thats a whole new ticket level, which means more moneies owed if you get pulled over. Anyhow, I ask again if he is sure because I am positive I was not going 80. He says yes again. So I ask him if I can see where he radared me at 80, he says no. I again ask if he was sure I was doing 80, he again says yes and leaves.

So my questions are this. Can the cop actually get a good clock travelling opposite directions, and then pull me over? If asked for proof of speeding do they have to show it. Do they have the ability to show it? If I take this to court and tell my side of the story that I think I was speeding but not 80 and the cop can not provide proof of me doing 80 do I get off without a ticket for 79 then? If I lose what kind of fees am I looking at? Is it worth it? FYI I live in Florida, the FHP pulled me over in an unmarked car.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: got pulled over

it is more likely that your spedo is wrong than his gun. imo.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it is more likely that your spedo is wrong than his gun. imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and its not even close.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 AM

You were speeding and in the wrong, get over it. I really want you to go to court and fight this because I want to read the trip report where the judge laughed in your face.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM

in court it's cops word vs. your word. too bad for you. This is one thing i'd like to see changed in America. The police are the judge jury and executioner when it comes to traffic violations and don't have to supplement their case with any proof besides what they think they saw on their radar. In todays modern age with technological capabilities it shouldn't require any extra effort for some sort of photographic proof or screenshot of their radar coupled with visual evidence that it was in fact your car. Meh, /rant.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM

you: "I bet your giving me a invitation to the highway patrolman's ball"
him: "Son we at the highway patrol dont have balls"

you: ....profit?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM

You have the right to see the radar gun. Last time I checked a car has to be stopped to register a reading from a gun, so from the looks you got pwned. Go to court and u might have a judge that is decent and it will get thrown out.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM

#1 Myth about speeding tickets:

[ QUOTE ]
You have the right to see the radar gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no law in any state that requires an officer to show you the reading on the radar or laser gun. Most jurisdictions discourage this as a matter of safety. If the officer does show you, it is a courtesy only. If the officer says you were speeding that is all the proof the judge needs to find you guilty. Most courts will accept a simple visual estimate by an officer without speed detection from any device.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in court it's cops word vs. your word. too bad for you. This is one thing i'd like to see changed in America. The police are the judge jury and executioner when it comes to traffic violations and don't have to supplement their case with any proof besides what they think they saw on their radar. In todays modern age with technological capabilities it shouldn't require any extra effort for some sort of photographic proof or screenshot of their radar coupled with visual evidence that it was in fact your car. Meh, /rant.

[/ QUOTE ]

op would def. have a case though cos cop would not show up to prelim (they never do). so if op wants to get lawyer and pursue this then go ahead but will prolly not win
Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty confident I was not traveling at 80, but more like 78-79.

[/ QUOTE ]

stopped reading here.