Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 AM

Default is there some secret to big slick that i just don\'t get???

ok....all beats brags and variance aside, i exit a tournament again with slick from the BB as a 3/1 favorite over ATo on button in 69th when top 40 of 400 pay (6.60 bounty ultimate-pwn-kang-nightly.com)

here's how the carnage began...
with blinds of 1/200 and our hero w/ 2495t.....action is folded to the button (13,000 chips... lord knows how he gets them playing as bad as u're about to hear!!!) who minraises to 400... (A10o is his holding as i find out about 4 seconds later)...

now all logic out the window, i hate minraises (and still don't understand them because they are flat out DUMB.... and anyone who makes them is a moron... cuz u get no value for your hand and/or bad beat...... exception: unless u're valuebetting what seems to be huge bluff lead out raise on the river with the nuts)

so instead of just calling the 1 bump aka donk-raise w/ AKo, leaving myself 2295 to push on the flop, i elect to push all in..... and pray that this guy can fold for 2300 more into a pot of 900... or 3200...whichever way u look at it. so he calls getting 3:2 and a shot at the $1 attached to my putrid carcass

SO QUESTION 1... IS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO? or should i have just folded and wait for a better spot with 11.5 big blinds left??? because min raises are super weak or super strong.... and AK online is an absolute joke!!!!!
i know how the stupid bad beat generator works cuz i'm supposed to go broke here, and not have put my $ in in the first place.... and i knew it was coming too.... and i was right.

keep in mind, i've played one hand on this whole table... and it was an Ace Ten suited push with 7 big blinds that i was called by 78s and doubled up. so my image is tighter than u'd like your #2 to be after you come out of prison...

So, anyways, the flop is Ac 6h 9h and i think UB is actually gonna let me eek another one out..... although thoughts of the disgusting backdoor striaght are lurking in my paranoid mind. but to my dismay and disgust they peel a 10h for the turn giving the luckbox 2 pair and me the K hi flush redraw which never hits... and it didn't.

QUESTION 2? OTHER THAN A RESPONSE LIKE "RUN BETTER" IS THERE ANYTHING INTELLIGENT THAT ANYONE CAN SAY TO THIS DONKEYKANG.... WHO ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE "MISPLAYING" AK.... THE BLOWUP HAND THAT CAN ALMOST NEVER FADE A 3 OUTER.

QUESTION 3: W A FLOP OF Ac 6h 9h, IF I PUSH, I GET CALLED... if i say "i have AK, call at your own risk"..... i think i still get called anyways.... and same result... cuz it's for a $1 bounty and $1 is alot to donkeys, right?

so what is a guy to do??? other than consistently getting money in good and results oh so bad???

anyone else feel me on this???

(please don't censor this post Dr. Sklansky!!!)
Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: is there some secret to big slick that i just don\'t get???

Thats why you habve to have a large bankroll for mtt's. One of these times you'll be the guy coming from behind with a huge stack constantsly and winning flips too. Thats when make up for the other 40 times you dont get itm.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 AM

1.) The size of a preflop raise should have a goal anytime. If you want to get deeper into that issue read "professional no limit hold'em", which is primarily a cashgame book, but treats very good preflop betsizes from another view. Important in your case would be the stack size of the BB, but if he gets two calls with AT a miniraise to 400 isn't bad (as he gets a SPR against you of 2). If you see a miniraise stop thinking of either very weak or very strong, but try to find out what the bet means.

2.) there might be different reasons why he called your push. he might have set you on a restealer and thought his AT was good.

3.) and this is the most important point. you have to stop playing results orientated (or it's better for you and your bankroll to quit this game). In this case everything you did was right. you got a raise, assumed you are in front and pushed, got called by a worse hand - and lost. and.....
this happens a million times for the best players too.
you really have to work on your frustration tolerance.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:27 AM

what lev said...hard to accept but losing that hand was a positive thing...you made the right move and that's all you can do when playing poker...hard o do it but you need to strive for that zen state where you are less and less concerned with how the hand turns out and more concerned withhow well you read and bet it...keep up the good work!!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so instead of just calling the 1 bump aka donk-raise w/ AKo, leaving myself 2295 to push on the flop, i elect to push all in..... and pray that this guy can fold for 2300 more into a pot of 900... or 3200...whichever way u look at it. so he calls getting 3:2 and a shot at the $1 attached to my putrid carcass

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong attitude bro. Why on earth would you want him to fold here? You are a 4:1 favorite and he is not getting the right price to call. This is hugely +EV.

[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION 3: W A FLOP OF Ac 6h 9h, IF I PUSH, I GET CALLED... if i say "i have AK, call at your own risk"..... i think i still get called anyways.... and same result... cuz it's for a $1 bounty and $1 is alot to donkeys, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to get a better understanding of poker and more specifically the Fundamental Theorem of Poker if you want to get better. When people make mistakes you win. Period.

You seem to be suggesting that if you only played in the $109r people would respect your bets and fold. Well, be my guest. Go play the $109r with some of the best players in the world. Good luck to you sir.

Seriously, read the FAQ. Read the anthology. Read the Theory of Poker. Then come back and look at this thread. I think you will realize this is really just a bad beat post.

Sherman
Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 AM

If you flip your AK up and get called anyway, that's exactly WHY you win in 1$ donkaments. This is free money. Free money doesn't come along as easy in higher buy in MTTs.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 PM

ok people are making fun of me it sounds. i know the fundamental theorem of poker (and that it states that if u know what your opponents had would you play your hand in the same way... and that when they make mistakes you win.... yadda yadda yadda) and have read NLH theory and practice and i'm at the top of the 2nd category of HoH vol 3 ... just under world class... i reread supersystem every other month... so sherman if u'd like to stake me in the 109's i'd love to take it, my cash rate is 30% when i play squeaky midget ubertight and eek into the money. what i'm looking to do is turn consistent 30-60th place in 600 person tournaments into final tables (of my 27 cashes in 77 tourneys only 1 was a FT...and i literally shot myself in the foot heads up and knew it when i was doing it) hopefully when harrington 2 arrives in the mail in the next day or so i can begin a 483 page journey on the road to memorization of another poker book... (8 and counting)

sorry that i'm a bigger crybaby than philly and the mouth

and by the way slick over ace 10 is a 3/1 fave, not 4/1 to correct the guy who got it wrong.

but really, if anyone plays online enough, do they notice patterns like this (and not attribute it to my paranoia) i.e., think of hands that play out as calls and/or folds that you're supposed to make. just like a slot machine calls the wheel pattern the second u push the button as opposed to the wheels locking independently of each other as they did in days of old....
Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok people are making fun of me it sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Your post was really newbish.

[ QUOTE ]
so sherman if u'd like to stake me in the 109's i'd love to take it

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I'd stake myself 1st.

[ QUOTE ]
of my 27 cashes in 77 tourneys only 1 was a FT...and i literally shot myself in the foot heads up and knew it when i was doing it

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously dude, one FT in 77 MTTs isn't that bad (esp. depending on the field size, What was your avg. field size?).

Tell me how much of this assessment is accurate:

You just started playing online MTTs recently. You don't yet understand the huge amount of variance in playing online MTTs as a source of income.

Sherman
Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Dude,

Go to FAQ and read up on how to write a post. it should routinely include a hand, pot sizes, stack sizes, reads on your villain, and some sort of a clearly written question. Go to your hand history and work one out. I mean, if you must, clean up your AK preflop question here and put it in the form of a hand with stack sizes. I also don't understand your metaphor at the end - it's like a cross between a bad cable movie and a memoir.

Also, if you really want to get some excellent advice on how to withstand the psychological heat of AK in a multitable tournament, post this at Brags Beats and Variance. They're a colourful group and will be more than willing to share with you their opinions on your situation.

We are going to make fun of just about any post that starts off with "Is there some secret to big slick here?" Yeah, there sure the [censored] is - I don't know how to get it enough of it. However, I think that if you donate 2 cents to Daniel "Kidpoker" Negreanu at Pokerstars, you will hit the boomswitch and receive lots of AK. Maybe that's the secret.

Barry
Old 10-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Somewhere at the beginning of 2007 I lost 14 coin flips in a row with AK and really started to think that the hand is cursed.
But that didn`t stop me from playing it correctly the 15th time I saw it.

It is a hand that will get you in trouble in tournaments but oh well... it will even out in a long run.

Suckouts are frustrating, especially for tight players ( because they don`t get involved in many pots and naturally they expect their premium hands to hold up when they do play a hand ) and they hurt the most in tournaments (especially when you go deep) but what do you do...either accept it or look for another hobby/job or whatever poker is to you.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]