Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Default proxy sites for online poker

hey,

just moved up to college and found out that although i have internet access i cant manage to use any of the poker sites.
it seems fairly weird because i can go onto sites like cardplayer.com, sports betting sites and even fulltiltpoker.com but cant manage to play on the fulltiltpoker site even though i downloaded it at home???
every time i try to log on it just tries to load for about 3 minutes before saying site not found.

please someone help me with a proxy site or some way around this.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: proxy sites for online poker

what school do u goto
do u have to log in to a school network to access internet
did anyone mess with ur firewall settings
do u have access to an outside LAN/wireless network?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Is this the right forum for this topic?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM

school - maynooth, ireland
do u have to log in to a school network to access internet - yes
did anyone mess with ur firewall settings - not sure how do i check
do u have access to an outside LAN/wireless network - when i click on the two computer signals on the bottom right of the screen it show 4 internet options - NUIM VPN, NUIMWireless, network 2 and network 3 all local except nuim vpn which is local and internet - think this is because i am using this one. tried proxy sites and cant seem to get them working because it is downloaded material.
remember seeing the LAN before i connect to this system but not sure how to get on to it??
Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
school - maynooth, ireland
do u have to log in to a school network to access internet - yes
did anyone mess with ur firewall settings - not sure how do i check
do u have access to an outside LAN/wireless network - when i click on the two computer signals on the bottom right of the screen it show 4 internet options - NUIM VPN, NUIMWireless, network 2 and network 3 all local except nuim vpn which is local and internet - think this is because i am using this one. tried proxy sites and cant seem to get them working because it is downloaded material.
remember seeing the LAN before i connect to this system but not sure how to get on to it??

[/ QUOTE ]

try one of the wireless connections, as long as it isn't tied with ur school. be aware that you will probably be disconnected more often. also, unshare all of your folders so noone can access any of your files, and download snoopfree just to be positive.

do u have norton antivirus/firewall? check to see if ur firewall is blocking FTP client from connecting
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM

right firstly appreciate this a lot.
i cant download snoopfree as it is only compatible with windows xp. all the connections are linked to the college.
none of my files are sharing anymore.
firewall is not blocking it.
any other suggestions.
i take it you were in the same boat or are presently.??
the signal is bad here it reads poor but the web pages are coming up instantly would that be a problem.

biz
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM

it sounds to me that non-standard ports (ie, apart from those used for web browsing) might be blocked.

there's not much you're likely to be able to do if that is the case - although I understand that different sites use different ports to connect.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it sounds to me that non-standard ports (ie, apart from those used for web browsing) might be blocked.

there's not much you're likely to be able to do if that is the case - although I understand that different sites use different ports to connect.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya if they're blocking ports ur pretty much screwed. do some research on routing ports if that's even possible, but probably not if it hits a school firewall first.

live off campus.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya if they're blocking ports ur pretty much screwed. do some research on routing ports if that's even possible, but probably not if it hits a school firewall first.

live off campus.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're blocking poker-specific ports then a VPN would probably do the job.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM

hey guys thanks for all the advise.
as i am not brilliant at computers i could not use some of this advise but after talking to someone in a computer shop i realized there is only one way i can do this and this is to link up to a different network.
as i am on campus i cannot get digiweb (which i was told are the cheapest) to come in and set it up so i will have to go through 3g which is a phone company.
think it costs something like €100 for the modem and €20 a month after this.
thanks again for all the advise and hope this helps someone in the same boat as im in...

biz