Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM

Default OOP, best possible turn card.

<font color="blue"> So I just sat down i think either this cycle or the one before.
I forget to be honest, i just remember it was before i had any real read. </font>

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $10.00
BB: $8.80
UTG: $11.20
CO: $9.45
BTN: $9.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.35</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.15</font>, BB folds

<font color="blue"> So as i said, quite possible i'm either up against a madman, or the nittiest player in the world.

Despite that being his possible range, i feel AK is strong enough to 3-bet. Nits normally will let me know if i should fold, and anyone else this is a good 3-bet....so we're off. </font>

CO calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.40) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="blue"> So here we are, my favorite spot in the poker world. OOP againts an unknown with nothing. Welp, i already decided this was my pot, and he hasn't given me any reason to think it's not. </font>

<font color="red">Hero bets $1.40</font>, CO calls $1.40

Turn: ($5.20) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="blue"> Ok, so at this point, i'm behind several hands, but i've just passed quite a few. I have three choices; passive, aggresive and check/folding since i'm OOP against an unknown (but if i was going to pick this last choice, i shouldn't be here, so that choice is out.)

So, i figure, if i'm ahead here, he may bet, he may check. I don't think he checks hands that are ahead of me here, so in other words, hands i beat get a cheaper showdown and hands i'm ahead of prob get me all in constantly.

What Tien? RAISE THAT [censored] UP!</font>

<font color="red">Hero bets $3.20</font>, <font color="red">CO raises all-in to $6.90</font>,

<font color="blue"> This is exactly where one of us wants to be, but i am unsure which one of us.

I believe a call here is standard, as i'm pot commited, and hitting my "gin" card and folding seems just silly.</font>

Hero calls $3.70

<font color="blue"> Done and done. So, the moral of this story is, playing poker with your eyes closed is never good, though i'm not saying i lost this hand, just that i was lost during it.

Does anyone play different? Why? </font>
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: OOP, best possible turn card.

I don't see any real problem. Like you say, you're not going anywhere once you hit that king. And I think that would basically be true if the king were on the flop, too, in this 3-bet pot. You've got less than 4x the pot in your stack going into the postflop action.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any real problem. Like you say, you're not going anywhere once you hit that king. And I think that would basically be true if the king were on the flop, too, in this 3-bet pot. You've got less than 4x the pot in your stack going into the postflop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

But more then that. Would you play different?

3-betting without a read really a good idea?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But more then that. Would you play different?

3-betting without a really a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the preflop 3-bet is basically standard, especially versus someone who's raising in semi-steal position.

I don't really like the board on the flop (and not just because it missed me -- that J and 9 are annoying, and if I have to miss, I'd much prefer, like, a Q63 flop). So I wouldn't always c-bet, but probably I usually would. I might c-bet a little bigger than you did, though, in an effort to discourage low/medium PPs from continuing. (This, of course, is not guaranteed to work, but it might.) Meanwhile, another reason to c-bet is that it's better to win the pot immediately versus AQ, if possible, than to have that hand steal the pot from you later in the hand.

And then on the turn, like I said, I think you're committed.