Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Mixing Fullring and 6-max

I normally 4 table full ring games but am looking to start experimenting with 6-max. What are some of your thoughts on playing 2 6-max tables and 2 full ring tables until I adjust to 6-max?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Mixing Fullring and 6-max

It'd seem to make more sense to me to start w/ 3 full and 1 short. That way you concentrate on 1 table, and auto the rest, and gradually add more short tables until your up to 4 or w.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:13 AM

awful idea.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 AM

I mean this is assuming OP refuses to play any less than a total of 4 tables.

It's standard for when you're moving up to 1st add only 1 table of new stake and then add more, so same idea for moving to 6max. Should work.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 AM

Mixing in higher limits of the same type of game... good idea.

Mixing in tables of a completely different type of game... bad idea.

Each game has a different tempo and feel to it. Mixing the two makes it very hard to get into the flow of either one. If you're starting short, drop limits and a few tables and play until the tempo is comfortable. Then start moving up to your regular limits. This step doesn't have to be long. If you're feeling ok with the tempo and swings after 1000 hands, go ahead and move up right away. I just don't suggest jumping in right away at the same limit as there is a bit of an adjustment in the beginning.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I normally 4 table full ring games but am looking to start experimenting with 6-max. What are some of your thoughts on playing 2 6-max tables and 2 full ring tables until I adjust to 6-max?

[/ QUOTE ]
6-max players have to make about twice as many decisions per minute. Even if you are fully comfortable with 6-max, you cannot expect to play as many 6-max tables as your full-ring maximum.

My suggestion is that you start with one 6-max table until you are fully comfortable with the game. Then start gradually adding tables. Not only is this safer, but you will learn more because you will be able to watch the table closely and really think about the hands.

Now that I am very comfortable with both games I find can easily mix 6-max and full-ring. It's not something I would recommend that you do while learning 6-max.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:42 AM

It's possible. Put the two full on the top of screen and the 6 max tables at the bottom, that's what I used to do before I started playing 6 max only. It's easy because you dont have to concentrate on full ring as much.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Each game has a different tempo and feel to it, with different opening and raising standards. Mixing the two would probably make it very hard to get into the flow of either one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-03-2006, 07:53 AM

The additional cost of context switching makes it more difficult to play different types of games...not to mention the cost of context switching between games of the same structure.

I used to play mixes of things more, but I don't enjoy it. For awhile I was mixing anything I felt like; FR, 6M, SNGs, MTTs, LHE, short stack NL...basically, anything that I had interest in. Now I focus on 6M as I like it the best. I wouldn't bother mixing things, just play a couple of tables of 6M and play FR separately.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 AM

On a related note, what do you guys do in relation to PT stats that may have been gathered from 6 max play, when playing full ring, or vice versa? eg thinking some guy in a LAG (when playing 8 handed) when infact those stats are just from a 4 handed game. Is there a good way to keep things seperate other than create 2 databases in PT?