Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Spewy AK play here?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $25.10
BB: $21.85
UTG: $17.90
MP: $32.60
CO: $11.35
Hero (BTN): $26.05

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, CO calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.10</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $0.85

Flop: ($2.55) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $2.55</font>, Hero calls $2.55

Turn: ($7.65) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $22.40</font>

On the flop I figured I was up against Q rag type hand. As such I figured I had 10 live outs. Working that I was a 60 / 40 dog. I still called as I thought I had a good chance at getting some more value if I hit my 10, or still take down the pot if I hit my two over cards.

On the turn I'm not sure about my play. I still have the same live outs but I'm 80/20 if my read is right. I thought I had enough fold equity as I had a fairly tight image (16/12). Complete spew here if I thought I could push him off, better spots to put the money in here? Or a viable move against selected opponents.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Spewy AK play here?

according to your thoughts on the flop I think you know what you should have done.

I usually just fold the flop. I find when a shorty donks into you for pot they are almost never folding. I will get their money later. They can have the tiny pot.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Granted I'm new, so I'm just throwing my opinion out for it to get shot down so I can learn

But I thought the all in after the turn was fishy b/c the turn produced absolutely nothing unless you had pocket 5's, which from my point of view could be a possibility.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM

I think the flop call is ok. As you say you got possible outs. On the turn I would check behind though hoping to hit an out... If the river blanks, I check behind if possible and fold to a bet.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 PM

raise the flop or fold but your line sucks. without reads itīs even worse.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

this is spew. Id fold flop. If it was a weak donk flop bet id probalby raise but PSB is probably a mediocre Qx hand that a short villian isnt foldin. If we call and hit an A/K we arent gona get much value out of like mid pairs (not necessarly true but could kill our action if villian does have a brain) and if this was to happen id probably check behind the turn and look to get value out on river. and you put villian on TP. you actually think he is foldin esp given how short he is??? Id say your FE here is very low.
Fold flop, as played check behind turn.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM

I typically don't try to put moves on short stacks, they're liable to call with a wide range
Old 09-30-2007, 01:56 PM

You can play like this now and then. I don't think it's a good standard play, though, especially because you don't really have a good read on your opponent.

You may consider playing like this if you've noticed that your opponent's very tight, there are only low cards on the board, and he/she often bets out on the flop regardless of what comes. I don't think that this applies, because the board is not low and you probably would have already told us so in your original post if your opponent often bets out on the flop.

So as a standard play: just make it cheap for yourself and check behind your opponent hoping to catch a ten, an ace or a king on the river.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:53 PM

If you are 99% sure you have 10 clean outs the flop is a clear fold. You donīt have odds to call. If I thought villains range was ATC (meaning you actually have the best hand some of the time) I would shove the flop, otherwise I think you should fold.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Villain is too short for this or any other move. Be glad he didn't c/r like he should have with his KQ/AJ type hands. You've got nowhere near the outs you need. You'd be better off pushing the flop than calling, but I wouldn't recommend it against a shorty.

Take a page from the limit game and seriously discount your outs.

fold&gt;&gt;push&gt;&gt;call