Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Default General theory - Combatting \'generous\' big stack on bubble

Im becoming increasingly annoyed with my performance on the bubble in Stars $20 SNGs which no doubt is due mainly to my bad play but im getting particularly frustrated by big stacks seemingly donating chips to other short stacks, building pots, playing flops and the folding. For example (no need to critique my fold [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]):

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)
Hero (t1915)
SB (t7731)
BB (t2024)
UTG (t1830)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, SB calls t600.

Turn: (t1600) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1224 (All-In)</font>, SB folds.

I suppose this is a pretty extreme case but there does seem to be a lot of what i think is bad play by big stacks on the bubble, making (seemingly) pot comitting raises and calls and then giving up the pot

How does having a big stack like this on the bubble effect our play? Should i play tighter and hope the big stacks eagreness to play flops with other short stacks will knock someone out? Do i need to be more willing to make pot comitting raises against the big stack and then shoving any flop to try and accumulate chips before i find im the only short stack left?

I know this is a rambling post, cos i suppose im not really sure what im asking, but any opinions would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: General theory - Combatting \'generous\' big stack on bubble

Yeah that really annoys me too when the big stacks donate to the smaller stacks and take away your EV. I think the only thing to do is to make sure that you are the one he is donating to most often. This doesn't always mean to play weaker hands, but for example, if you are in a pot with him, try to be aggressive when scare cards hit the board and get him to fold the best hand.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:22 PM

just play cautious, not scared. you only have 10bb. don't be afraid of finishing 4th.

oh i guess one idea is instead of open pushing against the bigstack, you could just raise 3 or 4x the BB and push the flop regardless of the flop. More often than not he is going to miss the flop. do this with cards you would usually open push.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:04 AM

Yes, it sucks, but if they all knew how to play even close to correctly, you'd never make any money.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it sucks, but if they all knew how to play even close to correctly, you'd never make any money.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

Just keep playing correctly.
Don't do any of the fancy limp and try to push him of a hand stuff other posters are suggesting.