Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 AM

Default 25NL: 2pair with AK faces turn heat. Standard line?

Villain is 17/6/2.3 Is there any reason to think I'm beaten here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($27.10)
MP2 ($22.15)
CO ($24.10)
Hero ($31.35)
SB ($10)
BB ($24.85)
UTG ($27.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.35</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $2.10, MP2 calls $1.85.

Flop: ($7.65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP1 calls $5, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($17.65) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $19.75</font>, Hero calls $9.75.

River: ($57.15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $57.15
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: 25NL: 2pair with AK faces turn heat. Standard line?

$9.75 into a ~$46 pot... u may be beaten by a set but you are getting near enuf a good price to draw out
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm betting little more on the turn, more like 3/4 the pot and then it's a no brainer call when he shoves for the extra few bucks. Even with his limp/call PF and C/C the flop, you could easily have him on a weaker A, AsXs as he picked up the flush draw. If he has a set or turned a straight, you do have outs still.

Pretty standard line, I'm just betting $13-15 on the turn.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I would have the same line with the intention of pushing just about any river.

As already stated your pot odds are so good that you really cannot fold top two here.

Really cant see a limp/call pre-flop with AA/KK/QQ.

22 or JT are the hands I would fear but with top two on that flop I plan to commit and by the turn the pot is too big to pull out.
When a solid player (going by the stats) wants to get all in Im always a little nervous without the nuts but remember the pot odds.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Good point don. I need to be maximizing value on the turn against the draws and worse 2 pairs that might shut down, given the river. It turned out that I was up against KK here (VERY strange IMO, given the preflop action). Am I just destined to go broke here?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:39 PM

You should be going broke here every time, if you not your playing to passive. At these limits your going to run into a bunch of bad/unconventional play. However this min bet is semi-standuard weak play that you should see often enough at these limits. Thing is its kinda reads jj-aa + AK, basically some donkey looking to get paid on his big hand. Obv. that is a little to simple cause people do make these min bets with complete trash.

I like your play here, for the most part you will be way ahead so i would say not betting full or really close to pot is a good play especially when there isn't an obv draw available. Same with the turn, for the most part you just want to bet enough so they are pot committed at the river. I think 10 is fine on the turn, i might to 11 or 12 though just cause it will be easier to get the rest in on the river.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point don. I need to be maximizing value on the turn against the draws and worse 2 pairs that might shut down, given the river. It turned out that I was up against KK here (VERY strange IMO, given the preflop action). Am I just destined to go broke here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially. Its not common at NL25 for people to flat a 3bet with KK so I would usually discount AA,KK as a part of their range. Once in awhile like now this will happen but I don't believe you can get away from it especially with those nice odds. NH