Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's the highest level Aaron W. will reach?
5/10 4 17.39%
10/20 9 39.13%
15/30 2 8.70%
30/60 4 17.39%
50/100 or higher 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Default What\'s Your Ball Flight?

Okay, golf forum, pole time. What's your usual ball flight?

If you read much, you'll have heard that hackers usually slice. People from Scotland and Ireland and Texas normally play a wind-cheating hook. The rest of America was turned into a nation of slicers by Jack Nicklaus, blah, blah, blah.

What do YOU do? (note - descriptions are for right-handed golfers. If you're a lefty, the same descriptions apply, just reverse the directions -- a lefty's hook goes left-to-right)
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: What\'s Your Ball Flight?

I've changed mine this year. I've always drawn the ball with frequent trips to duck hookville.

The course I've been playing does not favor this ball flight -- of the 13 driving holes, only 2 somewhat favor a draw while 5 flat out PUNISH someone who can't fade or slice.

I now have a pretty consistent fade which is almost never an outright slice. It still feels weird to line up way left, and it's cost me a few yards off the tee, but I've been hitting more fairways lately and my confidence on the five holes of draw death is way up.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 PM

My bread and butter is pretty much just a straight ball, which I achieve by "trying" to fade it.

My swing promotes drawing action so when I try to fade the ball it goes straight, which works out pretty well actually.

I can work it both ways but if I'm having an off day, I'll just hit em all straight.

My least consistent drive would be if I had to carve one left-to-right more than 15 yards or so around a dogleg. I can pull it off but too often I'll just hit it dead straight through the fairway into the rough/bushes/o.b. or whatever, haha.

There is this par 5 starting hole at Golf Mountain where I've played a ton. It's super short but it doglegs like a mug to the right. First drive of the day... I've hit that sucker through into the [censored] so many [censored] times.
So yeah, that's not my favorite shot.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 PM

One of my goals for when I potentially look for a coach next year to get really serious is to work on hitting a fade instead of a draw.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Pretty much anybody half-decent could get you to hitting a pretty consistent fade within a few lessons if you are c.<5 hcap
Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM

I play a soft fade in my irons and a bigger fade in my longer clubs (i.e. hybrid, 4 wood, driver). When I am playing badly I slice my longer clubs. My ball flight is high throughout the bag, and when I am playing badly, it gets even higher (since my worst tendency when playing bad is hitting off my back foot).
Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much anybody half-decent could get you to hitting a pretty consistent fade within a few lessons if you are c.<5 hcap

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I don't expect it to be a big problem...just one that I can't do on my own.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 PM

fade is my natural flight. After many hours on the range getting the draw to be semi consistent I realized the mistakes on course while hitting a draw were not worth it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fade is my natural flight. After many hours on the range getting the draw to be semi consistent I realized the mistakes on course while hitting a draw were not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh so true.

The old quote (think it was Hogan??): 'You can talk to a slice but a hook wont listen', is still totall right.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 PM

power fade