Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Default This whole \"don\'t call UTG raises\" needs to stop

Is starting to really wear on me. The funny thing about this phenomena is that practically every TAG that I play against, or LAG too, has the same UTG and MP opening ranges. So if in your strategy posts you say "fold preflop, QJs plays [censored] against an UTG open from a 18/16" then you damn well better be saying the same thing if a guy opens in MP.

If you aren't then don't give people flack for calling an UTG raise with 109s if you instacall and see a flop in middle position.

Group middle position and UTG the same, and the cutoff and the button the same, because they together are much more similar.

I've been tracking this preflop stuff and all these 2+2 people are opening 108s UTG now, as well as 108s in MP. They don't adjust their play any differently in the one hole or the two hole, just as they get ridiculously loose in the cutoff and ridiculously loose on the button.

Also don't go into super nit mode if a TAG opens UTG, a guy calls in the cutoff/button,etc. and you are in the blinds and debating a squeeze just because the guy opened UTG. I see strategy post after strategy post where a guy says, "I'm running TAGish around 19/16. I open UTG to $8 with 108 suited, button calls, BB calls." If you are in the blinds get over the phobia of always beleiving the UTG guy has a big hand. He does occasionally but a lot of the time squeeze that [censored] because you will be picking up the $8,the $8, and the blinds because he can' call $38 with a suited connector if he has a $200 stack if he has a brain.

So basically these TAG UTG opening ranges are wide and are starting to mesh into the cutoff and button more so than they are nittying it up and folding lots of connectors and offsuit/suited broadways up front. Adjust your play to it or else you'll be out like broomcorn's uncle from Super System.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: This whole \"don\'t call UTG raises\" needs to stop

T8s is the nuts though
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Nice post gators. I agree, we dont wanna turn out like broomcorns uncle..
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM

people seem to be consistently opening hands liek t8s from utg and mp but that doesnt mean they arent aware of their position. playing hands like this from utg is much better than playing kjo. their ranges are def. narrower from utg; it's just that their ranges are more polarized.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people seem to be consistently opening hands liek t8s from utg and mp but that doesnt mean they arent aware of their position. playing hands like this from utg is much better than playing kjo. their ranges are def. narrower from utg; it's just that their ranges are more polarized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I personally don't think they have a narrower range UTG than they do from Middle Position.

I think they have a drastic difference between UTG and the cutoff, just as I think that difference is drastic from MP and the cutoff.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 AM

my raising range got ~6% wider from utg to mp and from mp to CO. thats a pretty big difference, and i think i ignore position more than most.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM

Seen as you're pretty much specifically referring to my post today, here goes.

Firstly, i said readless you should fold QJs against an UTG raiser. That's fine if you think 2+2ers are opening T8s UTG. But thats by no means true for an unknown.

Secondly, my comment was specifically directed at the QJs holding. If you give a standard UTG opening range for an unknown, most people would agree its probably at least 88+, ATs+, KJs+, AJ+ and KQ+. How many of these hands are QJ in good shape against and how many have reverse implied odds? In this situation, I'd much rather call with 65s or 78s than QJs.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM

You're probably right. My UTG range is like the same as my MP range, probably a leak depending on the table condition.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM

What makes it get that % wider if you don't mind answering that question. You will be OOP still against the CO/Button still and that seems like a pretty large percentage for just one seat more "in position".

What percentage does it grow for the cutoff?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Closed Thread