Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Default 1.00-2.00......77, flopt a set.....bet out or checkraise?

Starting a new hand (#669471626)
Texas Holdem Limit $1/$2 - 2007-09-28 00:09:07 Server
Table Sunningdale
Seat 1: bonnois ( $70.15 )
Seat 2: CheGuehase ( $40.50 )
Seat 3: G333 ( $43 )
Seat 4: dada1963 ( $35 )
Seat 5: Psycholosopher ( $155.58 )
Seat 6: malby1232 ( $40 )
Seat 7: 2hot4hell ( $102.20 )
Seat 8: gonetrolling ( $69.15 )
Seat 10: TheCapiToshka ( $64.08 )
2hot4hell posts Small Blind $0.50
gonetrolling posts Big Blind $1
Dealing cards
Your cards 7d 7h [2hot4hell]
TheCapiToshka folds
bonnois folds
CheGuehase folds
G333 folds
dada1963 calls $1
Psycholosopher folds
malby1232 raises $2
2hot4hell calls $1.50
gonetrolling calls $1
dada1963 calls $1
Dealing Flop 7s Qh 8c
2hot4hell checks
gonetrolling checks
dada1963 checks
malby1232 bets $1
2hot4hell raises $2
gonetrolling folds
dada1963 folds
malby1232 calls $1
Dealing Turn 7s Qh 8c 4d
2hot4hell bets $2
malby1232 calls $2
Dealing River 7s Qh 8c 4d 8h
2hot4hell bets $2
malby1232 calls $2
malby1232 shows Td Ac
Winner is 2hot4hell $19
#EOG.

So I decided to checkraise to protect my hand. Is this a good line?...or is it better to just bet out (to get more players/money in the pot)
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: 1.00-2.00......77, flopt a set.....bet out or checkraise?

use a hand converter please. the action is a mess and i cant really follow it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I decided to checkraise to protect my hand

[/ QUOTE ]

answer this question..why are you trying to protect your hand? give reasons. what hands would u be protecting from? dont forget to consider pot sizes, odds etc if you can. be as specific as you can...who knows thinking this way might actually help your game but if you dont ocassionally put yourself out there for public critique then you are not getting full value from 2+2.

Im trying to encourage you to help yourself to get better at poker cos dude, honestly you just keep posting hands, your reads arent really specific, u rarely comment on others and you dont really do a good job of explaining WHY you took an action. This is key and I hope you see why.

If you at least try and explain your thought process youll get better replies....dont worry about being wrong because being wrong and getting corrected is how we all get/got better at this crazy game.

oh and btw..... value >> protection at microstakes such as this and without reads Im not even sure I like preflop
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 PM

Aussie. Fold or 3?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 PM

without reads on anyone (and that includes the BB and the limper and not just the raiser) Im leaning towards folding because most 1/2 tables I play at dont give me the implied odds to gun for me set here but even if folding is debatable/weakish once hero makes his set he needs to be thinking about valuetown and this all starts with heros position relative to the preflop aggressor (yeah, you probably know this but Im stating it explicity for OP who may not get it fully and may not properly think about what he wants to achieve when he hits this set and how to go about doing that).

Given the position of the PFR for me CRing here is just silly because it blows away the rest of the field who would may well have called a flop bet but wont call 2. I'd like heros play better if he had a weaker hand that actually needed protection.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 AM

You know.. I'm a total noob. I just read the Small Stakes book and they say you should protect you're good hands in big pots. So that's the reason I decided to checkraise for protection, I just do what the book says. So here you got my reason for checkraising. I'm trying to protect my hand from gutshots of course. So you say there would be more value from betting out and receive a couple of more bets than checkraising to prevent gutshots from drawing on you?...I don't know..you know..don't know the math and stuff. But when SHOUld you protect and when should you bet. Where lies the line? What's the math....prove to me that betting out is better here than checkraising for protection..

Ow yeah and this is a HH from Pokeroffice, it's Ipoker...so I can't get this through the handconverter on flopturnriver
Old 09-28-2007, 03:13 AM

you are probably misapplying what you read in SSHE. Im not trying to be a smartarse because Ive been there and still do it myself (probably more than I realise).

first things first. lets consider that when you call preflop you are going to be OOP in a multiway pot and thus youll likely have to flop a set to continue confidently and thus in order for this preflop to be profitable you need to win a certain nubmer of bets postflop to make up for the times you wiff and fold.

Thus logically why do you want to project your set when your goal should be to win as many bets as possible with it? At a high level your goal when you flop a set is to get as many bets in as possible. Sure, you protected your hand but you didnt get value for your hand and thus im arguing that your play of this hand is a losing proposition. you actually got lucky that your opponent was bad enoug to pay you off on the turn and river.

I cant be bothered doing the maths right now except to say that the most outs (given your have a set) your opponents have here is probably 4 (gutshot) and you want to give people drawing to 2pair or trips to make a FTOP mistake and call more bets. They probably think they have more outs than they have and this is good for you. You are basically arguing that you want to protect against one or two specific gutshot hands. BTW you have 10 outs against anyone who makes their gutshot on the turn. this is not unimportant.

Im arguing that your hand is too strong to bother protecting and you want to get maximum value. If you decided to forgo the idea of protection in the micros and just decided to relentlessly value bet then you probably wouldnt be making a big mistake. Protection might be applicable if you have a hand that is more vunerable in that your opponents have more outs against your hand and/or the pot was ridiculously large. For example if you have A7 now you want a J10gutshot to fold since he has way more outs against your pair. there are probably other examples such as bottom 2pr...

tl;dr version = value bet your strong hands and protect your weaker ones. isnt there a section in SSHE on this?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 AM

oh, I meant to say A8 not A7 btw