Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Default A list of newbie questions.

I am a newbie to small stakes games (having graduated from micros recently). I wanted to ask a lot of questions that I think might also interest other newbies like me. I made this as a kind of list, I think it is way easier this way.

I have cruised through a list of "legendary threads" posted here yesterday, and I learned a lot, but don't remember seeing the answers to these questions, and some posts are very old, and the metagame might have changed. So if I ask something that was answered clearly elsewhere, excuse me, it isn't that I don't care, it is that I made a mistake.

Onto the questions;

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] To put it frankly, I have only recently discovered (on these forums) that rivers are bluffable. Is there an estimation of the percentage of river bluffs one has to make? Like, if you are bluffing 15% of rivers, you are probably also bluffing in unprofitable situations etc.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] More on the river bluffs. On the hands that people post and ask for advice, they are usually told to bet more on the river when they have a good hand, and bet less when they are bluffing. Basically, people are told to bluff almost exactly half the pot when bluff, and bet the pot when they are strong. Am I misunderstanding something? Are these advices wrong? If not, what other bets are we making half the pot to disguise our bluff?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] My turn aggression factor is lower than both my river and flop aggression factors. I think this usually due to the fact that I want to be able to fold to a river reraise allin. Is this wrong? If so, why? And again, if so, what adjustment do I need to make? Note that my opponents usually have like 60bb, so if I bet pot, pot, I usually have to pay off to any river reraise.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I am playing 4x9-player tables. I see most people play 6-player tables. Are 6-player tables so much more profitable that it is worth making the change? Is it possible to play equally profitably 6 tables?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Who are those guys losing all that money.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Let's think of an imaginary poker player called Phil. Let's say you will know Phil's winrate at the 50$ table, and bet on whether or not he will win (even marginally) at the 100$ table. What odds do you need to take, if;

-Phil is winning 10bb/100
-Phil is winning 7bb/100
-Phil is winning 4bb/100

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Watching High Stakes Poker on the laptop while playing 4 tables? Big nono? If my bb/100 is the same at both spots? Do I "learn less" while I am doing other stuff? Or is this just a concern of bankroll?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You are playing "ABC" poker on your regular table. You notice some LAG takes advantage of this by making weird things like minimum raises, overbets etc. What should you do? I noticed that, if the blinds min raised everytime I raise, and c.bet everytime I call, there is no way I can play profitable poker. Moreover I might get off my game really quick, since I have no idea. What do you suggest?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Do you think it is possible to learn to play LAG, so that even if you are playing TAG usually, you will have a better shot at knowing what the LAG does? Do you think it is worth it?

If this post is somehow inapproppriate, I won't be offended if you say it, and will refrain from posting similar things in the future.

Thx in advance, I would be grateful even if just a minority of these questions were answered.