Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Default NL----->Limit

Okay so in a few months I'm going on a cruise ship. The game of choice they offer is 5/10. I've played 5/10 on a cruise ship before and the play was terribly loose and passive. The problem is that I'm not a limit holdem player at all so I wasn't terribly successful in the game. I'm sure i could kill this game with a decent understanding of the game. Anyone have any suggestions for me in terms of playing limit. My reading list is as follows.

Reread ToP
SSHE
Winning Low Limit Hold'em
Hold'em on the come

Any other suggestions? Are either of these books not neccesasry? I think a solid grounding in limit will help me improve in all games. Also planning on spending a lot of time in Micro LHE forum as well. Think it's feasible to have a decent understanding by the end of december?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: NL----->Limit

I'd swap out WLLH with Weighing the Odds. Then you're list would be gold for crushing loose limit hold'em games.

Also, 5/10 is just high enough that a decent player should be able to beat the rake and make a tidy profit. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 PM

I havent read weighing the odds yet (it should arrive tomorrow!) but you could also replace WLLH with ITH by Matthew Hilger.

I dont know if Hold em on the come is all that important, especially when you are reading the other titles in the list...if you do read it put it at the end of the list so you have more time for absorbing TOP, SSHE and ITH / WTO.

as a disclaimer i dont have the opportunity for playing limit holdem live, and only play $1/2 or $2/4 limit online.

DB.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:42 PM

ITH, go through all the examples in the book a few times. Then SSHE. That's all you need to crush any live $5/10 game.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd swap out WLLH with Weighing the Odds. Then you're list would be gold for crushing loose limit hold'em games.

Also, 5/10 is just high enough that a decent player should be able to beat the rake and make a tidy profit. Best of luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, now that I think about it, and not to Threadjack, but the rake is significantly higher on the ship. I believe it's 10% of any pot with a max of $10. How much does this change the profitability of the game?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 AM

10% rake is, as I'm sure you know, the standard in live games, the real problem is the $10 cap. I'm guessing this is an overly loose, alcohol fueled full ring game we're talking about here, so the pots will be large, but still, overcoming a rake of one full big bet is a tough thing to do.

Quickly adressing your original question, the game conditions you (and certainly I...) are describing, are exactly the ones for which SSHE was written.

Good luck at the tables!
Slim
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10% rake is, as I'm sure you know, the standard in live games, the real problem is the $10 cap. I'm guessing this is an overly loose, alcohol fueled full ring game we're talking about here, so the pots will be large, but still, overcoming a rake of one full big bet is a tough thing to do.

Quickly adressing your original question, the game conditions you (and certainly I...) are describing, are exactly the ones for which SSHE was written.

Good luck at the tables!
Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't small stakes the book to get here. With a big rake you should probably adjust by playing fewer hands in small pots with marginal hands, steal less and focus on hands with implied odds that can win big multiway pots.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Beginner's Guide To Limit Hold 'Em (Byron Jacobs) is well worth a read in my opinion.

Good Luck.