Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Flopped flush goes wrong

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t1500)
Button (t1540)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP1 (t1480)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t40, SB calls t30, BB calls t20, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t200) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t60</font>, BB calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, MP2 calls t200, Button calls t200, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t920) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (t920) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
hero?

Do you prefer a bigger flop raise because its obv someone has an ace?

Do you see a river bet as a vlue bet because no-one showed strength on the turn?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Flopped flush goes wrong

I bet more on the flop, there's plenty of hands out there taht are going to call, and there's lots of other players in the pot. I think about 300 here would be fine.

River, I think a bet/fold is the best option. No one is re-raising here with an 8 of hearts or less, but you could get lots of calls with worse hands.

I also think this is better than check/call, because theres lots of hands which will call which will just check behind.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 AM

I don't like limping at all, specially not open-limping UTG+1.
There is nothing wrong with raising hands like T9s in early position.

On the flop I think you can raise stronger. This board is really perfect for you with an A and a K, who want to protect against a flushdraw - even a push might get a caller here. At least I would make it pot-size or even a little above - something like 350-400.

Bet the turn, you are most likely still to have the nuts and you are committed. I don't recommend a shove, cause the board is scary but you want to bring it all in on the river. I would make it 400 on the turn and shove any river.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

LevAA, with four hearts on the board, and this many players, you dont think we want to play a bit more cautiously?

One of them having the Jack or the queen is a real possibility here.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Sure it is a possibility, and if someone has the Jh or Qh we will stack off.
There is 920 in the pot so we are committed, to loose with the 3rd best flush against a better flush happens, but there is not much we can do against.

Ask yourself would you fold on the turn if one of the two villains pushes - I could never lay it down there, so try to bring it all in and stack them off.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Not a big fan of the pf limp but w/e. Raising bigger on the flop I think is better because the raiser is liable to come along and I want the other guy to pay to draw on me. Checking the turn is correct. So is check/calling the river. If you lead you are never getting called by a hand that you beat. Therefore, there is value in checking and letting hands you beat bet for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM

That raise on the flop is really bad. I'd raise the size of the pot, so, to like 350 - 400 or so, because you want to extract the maximum from Qh or Ax, a set, or top two that is scared and inexperienced. You want your opponents to be put to a tough decision - raising to 200 here gives Jh or Qh an easy time - especially if those hands come after one other player calls.

Given the action, I feel that betting the turn is silly here. Nobody is sticking around unless they have Jh or Qh. Sets look totally unlikely here - not Ks or As, so that leaves bottom set, and I assume bottom set does something different than this weak line.

Finally, you know, you could do something cute, like bet 200 and hope that top two pair sticks around. But, if you bet 200, more likely than not, it's gonna be fold/fold or RRAI.

Barry
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM

LOL at pot commited... check the turn, c/c the river. You lose you are still in it and can work back from 900-1000 stack. Raise the crap out of the flop. I don't see getting action being a problem with five player and AK on the board. 350 on the flop seems fine to me.