Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Do you trust yourself?

You bluff your opponents; you lie.
You might brag about your mad poker skills to your friends; you lie.
This is fine, it won't really stop your progress as a player in poker, but there is one person you should never lie to when it comes to poker: yourself.

Lying to yourself hurts you, both as a person and a poker player, and I would say this is a major factor for most people who struggle to get through the micro and small stakes in poker.
You might not understand what I am talking about, so I'll give it a little more color:

You have had a bad day, you lost a flip and some guy's KTo broke your aces.
You started to play way under your best play, maybe you are not on a serious TILT, but you search for reasons to call, where you definitely should not be, just to get back even.
You say to your self: "I'm not on tilt, I can still play profitable": This is your first lie.

You keep loosing money, obviously now that you are not playing good, and after a session of a -4 buy ins. You pick up poker tracker to find what you did wrong. You search for some hands that you knew you played well but got sucked out on and claim "Hey, I'm just on a freakin' bad beat streak": This is your second lie, shame on you.

We are all on this forum for a reason, most of us to become better poker player so that we can earn some nice cash, or because we love poker so much.
One thing we do have in common though, is that we all want to progress and that's just nature.
But if you keep lying to yourself about how well you play, you will not progress. It's very simple.

So before closing the next bad session, blaming it on cold cards, please think twice, because in the end, you do want to trust your self, don't you?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Do you trust yourself?

Just because this applies to you, doesn't mean it applies to others. A for effort though.

In before lock.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 PM

I'm quite familiar with the concept and I have been working it off. I also know quite a few friends who seems to be doing the same thing, so I figured it's not that uncommon.
If no one feels directly hit by this then I guess I'm way off.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Are you lost?

http://www.luv-emo.com/
Closed Thread