Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Beating a loose-aggressive game : full ring

Hey guys, long time lurker here.

What I, and I'm sure most of you have noticed when moving up into mid stakes (2-5, 5-5, 5-10 NL) is that the games become more LAG in nature, opponents expand their hand range and their playing lines as well.

Whereas in lower limits the games are played in a pretty much straightforward manner, with an occasional move pulled here or there; - in the higher limits the moves are more frequent, and as opposed to coming from one or two spots at the table, they can come from 3 or 4.

At this point in my progression as a player, I'm having difficulty adjusting to games that are VERY loose and aggressive in nature. When there are a couple of LAGs at the table, I do ok, but when it becomes 3 or 4 or more people playing very LAG, I start having trouble determining where I am in a hand, etc. It becomes difficult to interpret not just the actions of the LAGs but also of other players that must also be reacting to the LAG players.

For example, assuming a 100BB - 150BB stack, normally I would try to avoid getting broke with TPTK in a full ring game, but in a game that is very LAG should I just be ok with doing so? Concepts such as pot management become much more difficult to implement in such a game.

So, at this point I'm basically looking for advice on beating a loose-aggressive game that I've described above.

Any tips, suggestions, or links to helpful threads (no not rickrolls [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) would be much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Beating a loose-aggressive game : full ring

put your opponent on a range of hands, and determine your equity against his range before you choose an action
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
put your opponent on a range of hands, and determine your equity against his range before you choose an action

[/ QUOTE ]

not as simple as it sounds, but yea!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Start playing smaller limits live and heads up tables ... you will be forced to adjust.

The experience of playing different styles and forms of poker IMO outweigh the losses you will have at first.

And of course what Matthew said. ;-)
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

so standard rounders esque logic here but...
but if they, and or the table, are laggy/loose w/e play tight, and if they are tight play loose

at a certain point when playing mid stakes and multi tabling its not really about anything than who recognizes what is going on first and then who can adjust to these new circumstance first

being aware of your image and not only your opponents is key
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Well, that's actually the same ... since you are part of the game and do influence it.

And at a certain level, if you're only used to play your standard game and standard lines the other players will take advantage of that.