Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Default A-A on so-so flop vs. tight player (2/10 spread live)

2/10 spread limit game live. Table is 8-handed. Aside from my buddy and I, table is pretty terrible. Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP. Villan is old guy who has been playing pretty tight and hasn't shown many hands down. No other real reads on Villan. Villan is OTB.

Hero's stack to start hand is ~550, Villan has about 100.

Two limpers to Hero who raises to 10. Villan r/r to 20. Folds around to Hero who 3-bets to 30. Villan calls.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets 10, Villan insta-raises to 20.

Hero's action? Do we 3-bet this? Call and c/c? Thoughts?

I know spread games don't get a ton of play on here, but 10 is a max bet/raise on any street.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: A-A on so-so flop vs. tight player (2/10 spread live)

well we're ahead of ak and aq (although aq is an unlikely reraise preflop from an old live nit), and behind kk and qq, and kq (also unlikely). so i would be fine calling down to showdown from here (and raising an ace, obv), assuming he is a typical live nit old man who isn't doing this without a hand (ie he doesnt have JT, or hearts, or something else combo).
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Just call down, he's got KK/QQ a lot, but could have AK here more than 50% of the time depending on your image.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 AM

Just because (you'll understand why after you read them), I'm posting results below in white.

<font color="white">Hero calls 10 flop r/r. Turn and river are both blanks to which Hero c/c's. Hero tables his hand and villan tables (get ready) Kd-10d. Hero rakes pot. Hero to himself after hand - WTF was that? The even wierder part was he went right back to playing his "old guy" game. </font>
Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because (you'll understand why after you read them), I'm posting results below in white.

<font color="white">Hero calls 10 flop r/r. Turn and river are both blanks to which Hero c/c's. Hero tables his hand and villan tables (get ready) Kd-10d. Hero rakes pot. Hero to himself after hand - WTF was that? The even wierder part was he went right back to playing his "old guy" game. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that some live old guys appear so tight/nitty at first, but then they're really sort of terrible. Plays like this confuse me too...
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that some live old guys appear so tight/nitty at first, but then they're really sort of terrible. Plays like this confuse me too...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed recently that I've grown more and more accustomed to just classifying players based on their physical appearance. It's pretty important to watch what they're actually doing.

I have noticed a specific type of "old man nit" who frequents many of the games I play in. He seldom raises preflop, and when he does get in there, he has the goods. Or, and this is important....He treates any two suited broadways like they are made of gold, probably because a royal flush plays a bonus.

postflop his strategy can be summed in in one sentence:

"I had top pair, I wasn't going anywhere".

Just my two cents....