Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 10:03 PM

Default (razz) Calling 5th with trips showing

So, I'm not sure how totally I mis-played this. Very strange situation, so I wasn't familiar with numbers. Anyhow, I include thinking on each street below, and as always look forward to criticism.

Tournament - Razz (40/80), Ante 7, Bring-In 10 (converter)

Seat 1: 2,259
Seat 2: 813
Seat 3: 853
Hero: 1,273
Seat 5: 1,563
Seat 6: 1,873
Seat 7: 1,443
Seat 8: 1,923

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

Possibly should've re-raised here; I'm usually like to just call, unless I've seem the villain play stupidly.

4th Street - (5.65 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Fairly obvious, since we had the double bet on 3rd.

5th Street - (3.83 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

This is the interesting one. I think fold is correct here, since I need two cards after 5th. At the time, I just figured two cards 9 and under isn't too unlikely.

6th Street - (5.83 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

At the time, I was thinking this was a good play because I was likely to get a 9 or lower. However, the actual chance of me getting 9 or lower is probably not enough to make this play. Now I think it's good because it lets me lose the same amount total if I miss 7th, and gain 1 bet if I catch.

River - (9.83 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___

I think this bet is questionable. Villain folds to 666 showing ~0% of the time, but possibly will raise on some of the hands which beat mine. However, since the 9 is hidden, I think there will be few times he raises, making this bet correct.

Total pot: (11.83 BB - 946)
Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (razz) Calling 5th with trips showing

Uh, none of his hands beat yours. The best hand he can have is T432A and you have a 9.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Also you're a 3:1 dog on 5th. He's going to bet every street except the river, so the pot is laying you 6:2 effective odds, a little better if he does not bet 6th. A call is marginal but I don't think terrible, because you can fold 6th all the times you brick.

The bet on 6th is thin but you *are* a favorite, like 51:49 or something. I'd raise for the tilt factor.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, none of his hands beat yours. The best hand he can have is T432A and you have a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Yes. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I knew that at the time...just was going a bit fast when doing the write-up, heh.

On 6th, I think you might be right that the "tilt factor" is handy. It sure does look crazy when raising with trips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM

One of my specialties is losing hands to people showing open trips, by the way, and for that I say, [censored] you very much [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my specialties is losing hands to people showing open trips, by the way, and for that I say, [censored] you very much [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Heh. I wouldn't think it'd come up that often. I should really do more data-mining of my results, but it seems like the times when open trips are dealt is fairly rare, and when the opponent is showing weak enough cards to stay in the hand is even more rare.

You must just be lucky to have that happen to you often. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM

I play a lot of hands. But still, I've had it happen, at most so far, 4 times in one day, 3 of those in one session.

Today I've had 4 rolled up hands dealt to me. I actually won one of them (a steal naturally) with AAA.