Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Blind structure in knockout home tourney

I live in Buenos Aires, and some friends and I play a weekly tournament rotating between apartments. Its a great game with about 10 people every week, and everyone is really cool, so Im stoked. Anyways we play no limit with rebuys for the first two hours, and then elimination after that with the winner taking 70%, 2nd gets 20%, and 3rd the remaining 10%. Everyone starts with 100 chips, so with a few rebuys there are about 1400 chips by the end. Its pretty even- one guy has about 550, another 450, and I have 400.

But by then, the blinds are 60-120, so the minimum raise was 240, more than half my stack. I get KTs in first to act position, so three handed I gotta raise, no? Anyways this is not really about how I played, but so the small blind raises (incidentally he had ATs), and now I realize that Im all in to call and pretty much pot committed considering the blinds. My question is, werent the blinds excessive? we keep doubling them every fifteen or twenty minutes, and I dont want to really drag it out forever, but the exciting part of the night is the end game, no? The blinds seemed to take most of the strategy out of it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Blind structure in knockout home tourney

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Buenos Aires, and some friends and I play a weekly tournament rotating between apartments. Its a great game with about 10 people every week, and everyone is really cool, so Im stoked. Anyways we play no limit with rebuys for the first two hours, and then elimination after that with the winner taking 70%, 2nd gets 20%, and 3rd the remaining 10%. Everyone starts with 100 chips, so with a few rebuys there are about 1400 chips by the end. Its pretty even- one guy has about 550, another 450, and I have 400.

But by then, the blinds are 60-120, so the minimum raise was 240, more than half my stack. I get KTs in first to act position, so three handed I gotta raise, no? Anyways this is not really about how I played, but so the small blind raises (incidentally he had ATs), and now I realize that Im all in to call and pretty much pot committed considering the blinds. My question is, werent the blinds excessive? we keep doubling them every fifteen or twenty minutes, and I dont want to really drag it out forever, but the exciting part of the night is the end game, no? The blinds seemed to take most of the strategy out of it. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep doubling blinds, your structure will force this every time. After 6 doubles, a 100:1 start becomes a 3:1 pushfest.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM

This structure reduces the skill involved to nearly inconsequential levels.

Try incrimenting blinds (5/10; 10/20; 15/30; 25/50; 50/100; 75/150; 100/200; 150/300; 200/400; 250/500; 300/600; etc.) and/or increasing the time per level. Something else to keep in mind is that if your dealer isn't good you won't see many hands/hour.

J
Old 03-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Agree with what everyone else says.

A slower blind structure will allow for more skill and less luck.

Check out the blind structures at homepokertourney.com.

Also, keep 2 decks of cards in play to keep things moving quickly - 1 guy shuffles one deck for the next dealer while the other guy deals with the other deck.

Finally, if you play a regular tourney, check out my site: www.homepokertour.com (i know...shameless plug).
Old 03-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Personally i think your structure sucks.
We do something along the lines of T3000 chips. we break it down into :
8x Whites- 100 each
8x Blues - 25 each
4x Red - 500 each

So its easy to organise, you get 60x bb and we have levels at 15- 20 mins, going :
25-50
50-100
75-150
100-200
150-300
200-400
etc.

Im sure there are better ones out there but it works for us.

ric.