Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Default NL500: 88 blind defense on 642K3r - he be 3barreling me!

NL500, 100BB stacks, 5-handed.

Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO is 17/14/5 multitabler over 138 hands with 27% att. to steal and 85% cbet flop. Hero is 20/16/2.4 that session, fairly straightforward TAG.

No other reads, I don't recall any of us being out of line recently.

1 fold, CO raises to $17.50, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($37.50)

Hero checks, CO bets $28, Hero calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($93.50)

Hero checks, CO bets $72, Hero calls.

River 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($237.50)

Hero checks, CO bets $200, Hero...?

What % you call and what % you fold here? Do you play earlier streets differently?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: NL500: 88 blind defense on 642K3r - he be 3barreling me!

I've recently been experimenting with raising these flops for protection. It is essentially turning your hand into a bluff, but playing this hand out of position against a regular when an overcard hits the turn is so difficult.

I think that calling puts me in a situation where I'm either folding the better hand or calling with a worse hand too frequently on later streets.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Why does raising this flop with Eights constitute turning your hand into a bluff. You have a great hand, you didn't reraise preflop, and you have an overpair to the board! I would raise this flop for sure as played because of the exact situation you are put in when you don't versus a good thinking aggressive player. I would RR preflop sometimes as well. I think a lot of this comes down to feel. As played I probably fold river but am not happy about it at all.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 PM

I would fold the river here a lot against this type of player. They dont seem to run 3 barrels very often and with the way the hand played out villain can def value bet TT+, proly 99 too, plus any kings he has, plus obv sets.

edit: didnt notice that the river cam 4 to a straight. This actually makes me want to call more so cause most multitablers TAGs will check behind a ton of hands that beat you on the river. So I think I would call this fairly often depending in image and other game factors
Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]
Why does raising this flop with Eights constitute turning your hand into a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is almost never calling with a hand you're beating. His calling range is made hands better than yours and good draws.

OP, if leading flops (with sets and b/3b-able draws) is a part of your gameplan I like leading here a fair amount. The other times I'd c/c.

As played, with the reads you have, I'd usually muck the turn to a 17/14 even though that seems weak.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: didnt notice that the river cam 4 to a straight. This actually makes me want to call more so cause most multitablers TAGs will check behind a ton of hands that beat you on the river. So I think I would call this fairly often depending in image and other game factors

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, and this really depends on how good he is. If he's just a decent, fairly unimaginative robot type his range is super polarized in this spot. I can't really see him value betting less than a set. However if he's actually good, I think he can still be value betting with a K here, and possibly even TT-QQ. A good player is also bluffing more often in this spot so I guess it doesn't really change all that much. Basically what I'm getting at here is that given how you got here, I would call the river.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone.

If we lead here and get raised do we fold? Isn't that turning our hand into a bluff as well? I don't really have donkleading in my game HU except with sets/big draws multiway.

If he's very good I think he would know I don't have a straight as I'm not the type who would check-call two big bets with a draw, so he can value bet and bluff quite a bit more of his range.

I mucked river as I didn't give him credit for being able to three barrel with air, but I think I will have to call next time.