Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Default FT $50--TPGK--- BEING OOP SUCKS

I continually have trouble in these types of spots. Recently had a similar hand against a 29/1 and it threw me....and here we go again....

In this instance, BB is a relative tool at 39/25/2 and sees a lot of flops. I feel I can handle him since I have position on him. MP2 is 16/10/1.5 over about 70 hands and hasn't done anything memorable. MP3 is 24/5/1 over 150 hands or so and also not overly memorable.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown[/b]

Button ($68.45)
SB ($42.05)
BB ($104.70)
UTG ($53)
[b]Cardsman ($71.75)[b]
MP1 ($36.65)
MP2 ($63.70)
MP3 ($46.75)
CO ($64.20)

Preflop: Cardsman is UTG+1 with Q, A.
1 fold, Cardsman raises to $2, 1 fold, MP2 calls $2, MP3 calls $2, 3 folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 9, A, 6 (4 players)
BB checks, Cardsman bets $7, MP2 calls $7, MP3 folds, BB folds. <font color="red"> &lt;-----No way I can check this flop and give a draw free cards, even though NLHE T&amp;P says I might need to. Plus, if he is paying attention he would notice I cbet a lot of flops and it would be suspicious... </font>

Turn: ($22.25) 5 (2 players)
Cardsman bets $13, MP2 calls $13. <font color="red">&lt;-----I felt this bet would make him define his hand as two pair, set, or straight. I felt he would raise turn with a made hand and I could still get away. </font>

River: ($48.25) K (2 players)
<font color="red"> Cardsman beats his head on the table and...???</font>

If I check the river, I am very vulnerable to a bluff in a hand where I could be ahead and I would like a cheap showdown. He may not allow a cheap showdown. Betting into him when I am behind is spew, though. I know this should be a small pot hand but not sure how to keep it small.

Hand is so much easier in position.....
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: FT $50--TPGK--- BEING OOP SUCKS

you only beat a bluff. Since MP2 has lowish AF, c/f and hope he checks behind.

oh yah, and bold is awesome
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM

I'm not sure why you think the K is such a bad card. AK was already beating you here. There aren't many other hands that stuck around after the flop and turn and then improved with the K on river. (Maybe KK?) You were already either way ahead or way behind.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you think the K is such a bad card. AK was already beating you here. There aren't many other hands that stuck around after the flop and turn and then improved with the K on river. (Maybe KK?) You were already either way ahead or way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's afraid of the K, but the fact that he's OOP in a big pot and doesn't know where he's at. Personally despite the flush draw, I'd check the turn for pot control and to under represent my hand and either c/c or b/f the river in a much smaller pot.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you only beat a bluff. Since MP2 has lowish AF, c/f and hope he checks behind.

oh yah, and bold is awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

lol help me fix it then!!

Artemis hit it on the head. K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is an easy fold. However, here is the hand against the 29/1 that I posted on FTR, so check this out....

Villain is 29/1/1 over about 70 hands.....

What do you do on the turn? I wonder if I really beat anything at that point....

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

MP2 ($14.50)
MP3 ($11.80)
CO ($31.35)
Button ($6)
SB ($57.55)
Hero ($56.45)
UTG ($49.25)
UTG+1 ($16.10)
MP1 ($80.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, [color=#666666]5 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $2.

Flop: ($6.25) 8, 6, A [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $4.5</font>, MP1 calls $4.50.

Turn: ($15.25) J [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]MP1 bets $9</font>, Hero ......
Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do on the turn? I wonder if I really beat anything at that point

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check/folding the turn is pretty weak. I would check/call the turn or bet/fold the turn, depending upon stack sizes and the player. I would lean more towards a bet/fold in this position. FWIW, I hate playing A,Q OOP like this as well and don't bother raising it from the blinds.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What do you do on the turn? I wonder if I really beat anything at that point

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check/folding the turn is pretty weak. I would check/call the turn or bet/fold the turn, depending upon stack sizes and the player. I would lean more towards a bet/fold in this position. FWIW, I hate playing A,Q OOP like this as well and don't bother raising it from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, c/c'ing the turn is often a good play here. However, since this semi-passive player will often tell us where we are at by raising I like a bet. I actually like the semi-small bet also.

However, on the river he either missed a FD or is slowplaying us. He probably won't be bluffing often enough for us to call a bet and he probably won't call with worse hands often enough on the river. Therefore, I like a check/fold but I would expect him to check behind a lot.