Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Default 50nl fire at turn?

no stats, is this ever a bluff? nver seen this guy get out of line

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($20.90)
SB ($62.40)
BB ($50.90)
UTG ($49.90)
MP ($13.60)
Hero ($49.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $2, UTG folds.

Flop: ($5.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, BB calls $3.50.

Turn: ($12.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $29.75
Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 50nl fire at turn?

[ QUOTE ]
no stats, is this ever a bluff? nver seen this guy get out of line

[/ QUOTE ]

is it ever a bluff? Sure. Enough that you should call? No.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM

I prefer a check behind on the turn call a medium bet on river on non club, than take the line you did.

Was your turn bet for value? or bluff?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:30 PM

value
or so i thought, very drawy board, but i really shouldnt be building the pot i dont think with this kind of hand, but just so many times i see people calling with ridiculous [censored],
so betting the turn seems right at times
Old 09-21-2007, 03:34 PM

As weak of a holding you have here, you are only going to get 1 street of value beyond the flop if there is any at all and I think I would use your position to decide how much you think its worth. Hence checking the turn, and call a bet/bluff on the river. If checked to on the river you could attempt a value bet depending on the card. Note the result of the hand if you call down a bet or get called down. Especially with no stats/reads on someone.

As for your question is this a bluff, sure it can be but most likely 99 is not good and you should fold.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Line is fine.

Villain could easily have a draw and your bet is for clear value against those hands. Not charging them would be a sin.

I'd have bet the flop a tad harder.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

I don't like betting this turn. If we were OOP, it's a bet pretty much everytime for me, but IP, I say we just check behind for pot control. Our hand has good showdown value, and we want to keep the pot small here. Betting turn and then checking behind any non-9 river is good too, but I prefer just checking behind on turn.

As played, obvious fold.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Looks like a standard stack-a-donk line he took on you.

Good point by Kasane about betting the flop harder. Your $3.50 bet basically told you nothing as to where you were, and then ended up costing you a second, larger bet on the turn before you found out you were behind.

Here is what I think a larger flop bet does:
1.) It discourages any straight draws. If that turn actually made a straight, then he was on a gut shot draw and he may not have called a full pot sized bet. Your bet showed weakness, and may have contributed to him calling.

2.) It encourages any "monsters" to get it in while they can. This opponent could also have hit a set. A blind calling $2 OOP is many times a pocket pair thats set mining against you. If this was the case here and had 33 or 55, the strong bet, or $2 more for a full $5.75, might have drawn him out then, and tipped his hand to you. Instead of paying $2 more on the flop to learn this, you paid $8 more on the turn to find this out. So your line probably cost you a net $6 for not betting the pot hard enough.

** I find 10 10 to be a "somewhat" unlikely hand here as he might have squeezed from the blind, but thats marginal.