Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Several routers in a network, anything I need to think about?

I have (finally) gotten a dual WAN router. It connects to my old router and then that router connects to my computer.

Is there anything I should think about here? Any problems I mights stumble on? Like IP conflicts? For now I think both routers have the same internal IP. I don't know if that is good or bad.

I'm just checking if you guys want to warm me about something. Maybe that could help me to discover potential problems soon instead of sitting and getting frustrated when some stuff sometimes won't work... ugh So, any advice or am I all good?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Several routers in a network, anything I need to think about?

Hmmm, problems. My computer won't access the internet when connected to the second router. I tried changing the IP. That didn't work. Maybe I should change the local gateways? I have no idea. I am very much hoping for help. Unless I am very lucky I won't be able to solve this myself.

If it matters, the first router is a Xincom TwinWAN 502. The second router is a Linksys WRT54GS.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:36 AM

You don't need two routers. Routers behind routers is rarely a good idea. Why not just ditch the Linksys and connect directly to the new Xincom? I can't see any reason why you would want to get the Linksys in the mix?

Oh and the problem about not being able to get online while connected through both routers....that is not surprising. Routers behind routers don't usually play nice with each other.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:36 AM

I have internet connection now. I needed to release/renew the IP of my computer.

The routers now have IP 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.10.1. Both have standard gateway 0.0.0.0. I have made no other changes. Is everything good now? Or can you think of any other setting I would do best in changing?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The routers now have IP 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.10.1.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is important. I actually use 2 routers, too. One's the DSL modem+router, the other's the wireless+router. I have to use both, so I make sure one gives out IPs in the 192.168.2.* and the other's in 192.168.1.*.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Ok. Cool. Those DSL/modem routers seam to be getting hip. Good for those who wouldn't have had any router otherwise.

I've now read most of the manual to my new router. One thing I reacted to was some stuff I may or may not have understood about DHCP... is it good/ok/bad that both the routers have DHCP enabled?

I think that is my last question about this since everything seems to be working.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it good/ok/bad that both the routers have DHCP enabled?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's fine. DHCP is just an easy way to give anybody connecting to the router an IP address. For one of these routers, that's a pretty boring proposition; the only thing connecting to it is the other router. Still, as long as the range given out by one router doesn't overlap with the range given out by the other, you'll probably be fine.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Cool. Thanks!