Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Default ps 180 sng

I do not have access to the actually hand history so this is from memory. Just past the first break. I am the chip leader with approximately t15000.

UTG t6500 limps. my notes say "limps with cheese" and "will fold to a raise"

all fold

Co t2700 limps. my notes say "limps with cheese, calling station."

I am on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and t15000. I have not real stong reads on sb and bb

What is your play?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: ps 180 sng

5xbb raise or if you prefer call and see a flop.

Calling is probably the better play here.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Limps with cheese? That's good. I'll be using that.

I think I'd put in a hefty raise to try and get UTG to fold and CO to pot commit, since you have so many chips. This just seems like a good spot to play the big stack bully, honestly.

I'd juice it up 5-6xBB, maybe even a little more.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM

I like seke's line here, but I might also consider betting 3,000. That puts calling station AI and is half the stack of the "folds to a raise" EP limper. I think that line may get the job done if you are trying to fold one and commit the other.

Every time I just call here, I weak/tight fold A-J somewhere between the flop and riv . . .
Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 PM

I'm trying to do the same thing (get UTG out and CO committed) without risking so much just in case one of the blinds wakes up with a hand. We don't have stack sizes for the blinds (which is important), but that could be significant.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like seke's line here, but I might also consider betting 3,000. That puts calling station AI and is half the stack of the "folds to a raise" EP limper. I think that line may get the job done if you are trying to fold one and commit the other.

Every time I just call here, I weak/tight fold A-J somewhere between the flop and riv . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

your going to bet 3000? into a pot of like 525? Just past first break, blinds are 150 right? you are raising to 20xbb with 2 limpers (one a shortie) and the blinds still to act. This is a little overaggressive don't you think?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Yeah, but without knowing the blind's stack sizes, I don't know which way to go here. A big over-bet screams "I'm committed" and has more FE to a mid-level blind IMO. I can see getting away from a 5XBB bet to a re-raise, which might be correct given the chance of domination. I really hate A-J.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, but like another poster said, raising to 3000 in insane. A much smaller bet will force UTG out (if he's not STRONG STRONG) and commit the CO. If the pot is 525, I might pot it or make it 800 to go or so. If CO calls, he's committed by our standards. He'll call 800 more and be in the 1800 range, and a flop bet would cause more from his stack.

Honestly, I don't like taking the pot right here. I *WANT* CO to come along because I'm 80% sure I have the best hand RIGHT NOW. And as chipleader, you would have the room to see this flop heads up and pull the rest of his stack into yours if you hit.

If you bet 3000, CO folds and still has room to work.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19 PM

I like how you're thinking, but I think it's just too obvious. It's also too easy for the calling station to get away. He's probably an any-ace limper with OP's read. If you get him heads up to the flop and an ace comes, you shouldn't have any fear of getting it all in. Same for a jack. And you could probably push him off a lot of other hands with a cbet too. You don't need to get him all in preflop, but you don't mind doing that.

Just don't risk 3k with a donk overbet here, no reason to do that at all. You can probably achieve the same thing with a smaller raise, like 6xBB. And if UTG flat-calls you know he has a big hand since he'll fold to raises.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your going to bet 3000? into a pot of like 525? Just past first break, blinds are 150 right? you are raising to 20xbb with 2 limpers (one a shortie) and the blinds still to act. This is a little overaggressive don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do. But my aggro here is based upon holding a hand that usually gives me post flop fits and a penchance for bullying with a C of 5 to 6. Getting looked up here isn't the worst outcome unless one of the blinds can seriously hurt me. This is also predicated on the read that the 6K stack is folding. If he limped a monster, then my line stinks like old cheese.