Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 PM

Default General questions regarding middle sets in full ring

I play 200 NL, and have started the omaha trek. I've been keeping to full ring for the time being, and i'm wondering about middle sets. Most pots are limped 3-4 ways, and so far there doesn't seem to be too much PF raising. As is, how comfortable should i be getting in middle set on drawy but as yet uncompleted boards?

how comfortable should i be getting in middle set on dry boards K82r?

Pretty much, everywhere i hear, i should have the best hand on the flop, or draws to the nuts. middle set doesn't fit in either of those cases.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: General questions regarding middle sets in full ring

They are fairly good. I always bet them regardless of position, probably will raise a bet. If you get heat back though you're in for a tough one. Where I play, 50 PL, people do fairly often give heat back with the lowest set, so if you have a backup draw like a high flushdraw you might go for it.

In general though, fold them if there is a lot of action. Playing them on the turn and river is tricky too if you're not lucky and make an overfull.

They're better than top two, but not too much better, I guess.

They can be very good if it's a pot with a lot of preflop action.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM

It really depends how deep you are and your knowledge of the other player(s) who are showing aggression.

Middle set is obviously MUCH better then top 2 because of the times you run into bottom set and the extra outs you have to fill when someone makes straight or flush.

Knowing the other player(s) helps a TON when deciding whether you will back your stack with middle set. Also, preflop hand selection helps, if you play the right hands you will not be flopping a lot of middle sets.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Middle set is obviously MUCH better then top 2 because of the times you run into bottom set and the extra outs you have to fill when someone makes straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the all important: middle set is ahead of top 2 while top two splits against another top 2.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, preflop hand selection helps, if you play the right hands you will not be flopping a lot of middle sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you will be on the right side of a set-over-set scenario more often than your opponents will. Plus, even when you get caught on the wrong side of a set-over-set, you'll have backup flush and/or straight draws more often than they will.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You forgot the all important: middle set is ahead of top 2 while top two splits against another top 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, seems I also forgot that the Omaha forum is filled with [enough!]. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM

ok, so...from what i can take of this is, middle sets are good, but if i am facing a lot of heat on rainbow boards, my hand is now no longer good.

in those instances (at lower limits), probably c/c is my best option correct? since some fish is always going to be potting it w/ top 2 or bottom set.

getting it AI on dry board vs good player, he's going to have top set most of the time right?

thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 01:13 AM

you most probably wouldnt be reraised on turn by two pairs if you pot it again. the only question would be if you are staying again lower set or higher. anyway, for the middle set its very player dependent. just keep in mind, in a drawy board, top set wouldnt slowplay, i.e. you would be reraised and reraised