Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Bet this river?

I've been sitting at the table for about 5 hands but through the magic of PokerAce+UB I have 30 hands on villain. It ain't much but he seems reasonable (something like 20/15/2.5). No idea what he likes to steal with yet.

Ultimate Bet 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone 3-bet preflop?

Flop: (4.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Standard?

Turn: (5.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (5.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Now what?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Bet this river?

I think I like Check/call. He might bet his busted flush draw or A hi here. You don't want to get bluff/raised (much less likely). He would have bet that turn with a 9 so I really doubt he's got trips, and he would have bet with an overpair.

I don't really see him calling a bet here (since he checked the turn) but he could bet a busted draw or A hi.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Checking trying to induce a bluff is probably better as I don't think this guy will call as often as he will bluff.

True
Old 01-05-2006, 05:30 PM

I like a bet/fold on the river. I think villain is taking a free SD with his A-high. What would you have done had villain bet the turn?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you have done had villain bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good question. Probably called -- but I'm not sure that's right. I'm thinking that I'm pretty close to the threshold for a 5-out draw, and there's some chance that I'm still ahead when he bets the turn.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM

I like a check-call here. I think he often has something like JT or K8 here, or diamonds of some sort and by checking to him twice, you are really convincing him to take another shot at it.
If he had bet that turn, I really have no idea what I'd do. I think I'm taking it to show-down just because there are so many pair-less hands he could be pushing on that flop.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Results

I checked and he checked through an overplayed A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I just couldn't see him calling with a hand I beat...but he might've called with that one.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:10 PM

He pretty much never has u beat and the board is drawy enough for him to call with A high, so bet-call.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I checked and he checked through an overplayed AK. I just couldn't see him calling with a hand I beat...but he might've called with that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't play too poorly even. Look how cheaply he got to showdown. You have to bet the river because of how often players autobet the river after the turn is checked through.

Like already mentioned in this post, a 9 is betting the turn, an overpair is better the turn. You can put him on a draw fairly confidently on the turn and hope he calls or bluff raises the river.

I think on a 9 river, bet/call is the best action. I don't think anything else even comes close (not results oriented, I decided on this before looking at your result post, which wasn't necessary).
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 PM

a turn fold might be fine if he bets it.

In reply to your notes, the flop check raise is necessary. I don't 3-bet this pf. Flop call standard, but I think a river bet is also standard. He'll be calling with any pair and any ace most of the time.