Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Default 1/2 QQ in 4-way 3-bet pot (new to SSLHE)

I'm new to SSLHE, and I have a few questions about this hand. No reads.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

I think reraising here is correct, and after the betting preflop it doesn't seem like I am up against AA, KK, QQ or even AKs, all of which I think would've capped it there.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I really like the flop, but the reraise from UTG+1 worries me. I think he could have A10s, 1010, JJ, maybe a lower set. At this point I think I have the best hand, but I don't want to play a huge pot, so I call him down.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: 1/2 QQ in 4-way 3-bet pot (new to SSLHE)

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I think I have the best hand, but I don't want to play a huge pot, so I call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? If you think your hand is best, why don't you want more money to go in, particularly heads up when you are likely to be way ahead?

I think this hand is close between just calling down and putting in another raise, so I don't necessarily hate your line. But "I don't want to play a big pot" is the kind of poker-speak people use when they really mean "I didn't know what to do, so I called." Is that the case here, or did you really not want to play a big pot?

It's okay if you didn't know what to do, and there are good reasons for just calling. And there are situations, too, where the idea of not playing a big pot makes sense. But if you want useful advice, you need to be honest with us and with yourself about why you do what you do during a hand.

-McGee
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At this point I think I have the best hand, but I don't want to play a huge pot, so I call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? If you think your hand is best, why don't you want more money to go in, particularly heads up when you are likely to be way ahead?

I think this hand is close between just calling down and putting in another raise, so I don't necessarily hate your line. But "I don't want to play a big pot" is the kind of poker-speak people use when they really mean "I didn't know what to do, so I called." Is that the case here, or did you really not want to play a big pot?

It's okay if you didn't know what to do, and there are good reasons for just calling. And there are situations, too, where the idea of not playing a big pot makes sense. But if you want useful advice, you need to be honest with us and with yourself about why you do what you do during a hand.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to play a big pot because I think I would lose a big pot, ie if I get into a raising war I'm not going to win because hands that will get into raising wars will beat me.

In hindsight, it makes sense to cap the flop because I legitimately think I have the best hand, and there is no threat of a reraise.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM

nh

closest raise here is the river imo, but probably too thin if you have to call a 3 bet (which I always do)
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM

If UTG+1 is a passive grandmother who never raises with out a super strong hand, you could find a fold there somewhere, but against an unknown I think that is the way I would play it.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to play a big pot because I think I would lose a big pot, ie if I get into a raising war I'm not going to win because hands that will get into raising wars will beat me.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt true vs a lot of online aggros who will put lots of money in this pot with hands you have crushed.

if a maniac is willing to put in 6 bets with something like AT here you should be putting in 6 bets with QQ.

against more passive players, your line is fine.

as always, reads are important.