Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Default 100 NL - drawing OOP

Button got my attention on the previous hand. He did something donkish that caught my attention. Can't remember what off the top of my head. MP has been quiet.

Effective stacks are $100

Hero is UTG and is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero raises to $4. MP calls. Button calls. This is about the limit of my PF raising range from UTG.

Flop: ($12) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

What is the best line to take? I'll post my thoughts when a get a few responses.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 100 NL - drawing OOP

C-Bet the flop for about 3/4 the pot. You might take it down and even if you get called, the price is right. It's unlikely that flop hit anyone, and if they were playing A5, they're probably not too thrilled with top pair and a gut-shot.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Personally i don't like betting out from UTG with KJ suited or unsuited. But now that your here, def bets mon. You got 2 over cards, although probably only worth half outs cause he could have one them and the flush. Bet medium large on the flop, if called asses turn, mostly likely bet large unless you hit your flush.

I told Worm you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. DEAL. But you can't win much either.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Fold utg.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 PM

I bet 8, check a blank turn and hope to get a free ride to the river. As others have said, I'm not a fan of raising KJ utg, but you know your own business I guess.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is about the limit of my PF raising range from UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps i should rephrase. This statement implies that i raise KJs UTG 100% of the time. A more accurate statement would be that this is the limit of hand that i consider raising with UTG.

The main reason i don't like betting this flop is because i don't want to get called and have to play the rest of the hand OOP with a draw. I would rather take it down here or get my money all in. I don't think betting accomplishes this because a vulerable hand (eg small overpair) might just call.

i decided to c/r. If it is checked through, i get a free card on my draw. If he folds or pushes to my c/r, i'm happy with both of those results. If he calls, well......

Hero has K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: ($12) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks. MP checks. Button bets $10. Hero raises to $40. MP folds. Button calls.

Comments on my flop play? How is my logic? To continue my previous thought, if he calls, he either has a monster or he is a donk.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:07 PM

I'd simply lead out here. As played, the call of $40 means you basically have to shove any turn, you have $56 left and the pot is $92.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM

As far as him being either a monster or a donk, it's almost irrelevant once you take this line, for the aforementinoed stack/pot ratio. You're not folding on any turn you improve, and pretty much have to get it in even if you don't improve, so his having a monster has now become moot. If he's a donk, could be great for us if this is 9c8c etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason i don't like betting this flop is because i don't want to get called and have to play the rest of the hand OOP with a draw.

[/ QUOTE ].

Forgive me for saying so, but in that case what were you doing raising KJs UTG in the first place? I can't help thinking this is the wrong hand to take such a big stance on because of the domination problem, both with your high cards which are almost certainly no good now, and the fact that you have no idea where the ace of clubs is.

In short, I don't like it, I would save this play for a bigger draw or at least a draw to the nuts.