Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Default NL25: OverPr vs CRAI on Turn

Villain was fishy. However, does this CRAI smell of trip 6 now or a boat. Am I pot committed and call his push and get ready to kick the dog? Is a ck behind in order here?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $30.35
BB: $26.25
UTG: $29.55
UTG+1: $21.45
MP1: $25.15
MP2: $53.35
Hero (CO): $24.65
BTN: $32.50

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain is 49/4/1.4 over about 50 hands</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $1.25, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls $4.00

Turn: ($12.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $39.50</font>, Hero Calls or Folds???
Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: NL25: OverPr vs CRAI on Turn

You need to be good about 28% of the time so I think you are potcommitted and should call. I would have raised a littlebit more preflop (to about 2,50 euro) and somewhat more on the flop, but otherwise it looks fine to me. I mean we want to get it al in there in those favorable circumstances. If you loose make a note what the minraise is about.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM

You have $11 behing at this point so I think odds wise you're ok to call.

I would fold if I'd get less than two to one on my money as I don't see him doing this a lot with clubs and you're really only hoping to see AJ or TT.

Too weak?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 AM

IF is able to do that with clubs he deserve the $$, otherwise u'll be facing KK+/JJ/22/66 a lot. Come on he has a short raising range, he raised and call a 3b, the board is J high, do u think he would raise AJo and play it like that? Or TT? Have u ever heard of the balluga theorem?

By the way u should check behind the turn without AA/JJ/22/66/AcXc
Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM

The problem here is the preflop play. When re-raising 3x the bet is on the low side of OK. However, when the initial raise is a min raise then you need to be raising at least 5x the bet.

With a bigger preflop pot your flop and turn bets would be bigger and your committment decision far easier. Your small re-raise has given you a tough decision which you needn't have had to face.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM

Check the turn for pot control. If you don't bet the turn strong, villain would be nervous about how much he could extract on the river with a set and you lose less when they have one IMO.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM

I think you probably have to call this bet even though I would guess you are beat.

I wouldn't have played any of the hand much differently. I wouldn't check behind the turn, this is a loosey, I want 3 streets of value from him when he has his KJ or whatever. In fact, i'm happy to get AI with this guy if he hadn't c/r AI against me. But with the odds we're getting, I think we are committed, it's not completely out of question he does this with AJ or something off the wall...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Stupid though his original minraise looks, I have come to realise that this is usually a very strong hand from this kind of player (unless you have actually seen him raise full before).

As played I'm for checking the turn, but I don't think there's a great deal to choose between the plays. I don't dislike a fold, you are very rarely good here despite the attractive pot odds. The bet sizing more than anything else has made this a difficult decision.

I definitely agree with those who suggested a bigger 3bet, I would say to 3.50. By doing that you are playing it as if he had made a standard opening bet and you are making him pay the adult fare to continue.

If he calls, you have then forced him to define his hand properly, I would then range him on TT+, AK+.

On this flop you would then bet maybe 6, giving you a much freer commitment decision on the turn. Played like this, if the villain has a clear winner I think you are more likely to see him raise the flop, which gives you a better chance of escaping without too much damage. As I say, my play would still be to check the turn and get to a cheap showdown because just by calling the flop bet he is then saying he probably has you beat.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM

The min raise preflop after a limper, plus the call and flop call make me think this player has a big hand like AA/KK that wants action.

I would fold to the turn raise.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the replies.

In the end, he had A6o. I gave him my stack. I have been struggling lately between betting the turn and checking behind. It seems as though when I bet for value I end up getting all my chips in with the worst of it. The times that I ckeck behind, I end up winning small pots. Running a little bad at the moment and trying to figure out the right balance between not being overly nitty and extracting value.