Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 AM

Default High Hands in 6max?

It seems everytime I get a decent high only hand in 6max I usually am unsure of what to do. I usually limp/raise any 4 connecting runs (9TJK,TJQA) in loose games. But some hands that look very strong like AKJJ,TTJA, etc. seem to just be spewing money when I play them especially in loose games with so many people latching on till the river and don't flop a hand often enough to stay in it seems.

Any rule of thumb for when and when not to play these types of hands? Should I be playing them all the time with a limp in loose games, only in position, only if it has a suited ace etc.?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: High Hands in 6max?

99xx, TTxx and JJxx hands are not much good unless you have a2 or a3 with the pair. Maybe something like jj32 for blind stealing. Tough to flop top set and not have a low possible. And they seldom win high unimproved.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:45 AM

Generally try to see flops cheaply with premium high hands (AKJJr is not premium). In tougher games you want to mix the best of these hands into your blind defending/attacking range in order to make your hands harder to read but don't take them too far postflop, especially when there is are low cards on the board.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 AM

You guys aren't really answering my question, prolly shoulda worded it better. Reword: What to do/When to play 99,TT,JJ, with 2 other non connecting highs? For example UTG 6 handed loose table 3.5 players per flop on average every hand have TTJA or JJKA what to do?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM

Fold
Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 PM

UTG fold without suits mostly double suited (you didn't say if it was rainbow so I assumed it is), if DS limp occasionally if a raise behind isn't more than 50% likely, depending on the cards you've been getting. LP/button then limp much more often, throw in an open raise every so often to mix up your game, especially with a suited ace. At least that's my opinion. Generally I like sticking with stuff a little more powerful or if I do limp/join in these flops, I am hoping for a set, straight or maybe OESD+FD (pretty rare indeed). But even a flopped nut straight here is begging to be punished without a A- maybe K-high FD.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys aren't really answering my question, prolly shoulda worded it better. Reword: What to do/When to play 99,TT,JJ, with 2 other non connecting highs? For example UTG 6 handed loose table 3.5 players per flop on average every hand have TTJA or JJKA what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try and say this a little bit differently than I normally would.

High only hands play well in multiway pots. And when we say multiway, we're leaning towards pots with 4 or more players going to the flop.

6-max, by default, is not condusive to pots with four or more players going to the flop, and it's generally a bad idea to try and predict if a particular hand is going to be played multiway when you're first to act.

There are very few high only hands I'll play in 6-max unless the game is especially good.

I'd be willing to bet that high only hands that dont contain AA are a substantial loser for the average O8B player when UTG in a 6-max game. You're out of position with a one way hand in a two way game, and you'll be playing for half the pot the vast majority of the time when you do get to showdown.

There's no harm in folding a hand like KQJJ UTG- in fact, for most players, it's a profitable decision.

-Tex
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Location: cook me on your grill and feed me to your neighbors

[ QUOTE ]
You guys aren't really answering my question, prolly shoulda worded it better. Reword: What to do/When to play 99,TT,JJ, with 2 other non connecting highs? For example UTG 6 handed loose table 3.5 players per flop on average every hand have TTJA or JJKA what it do?

[/ QUOTE ]