Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM

Default A couple of hands with maniacs

I had just got seated at this wild 3/6 game. There were a couple of young drunk kids who were having fun and playing crazy. They had caped all streets 3 or 4 ways on one or two pots in the one round or so that I had been at the table.

Hand 1:

I am in the CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG (maniac) raises, 1 fold, 3 calls, I 3 bet, button folds, SB (maniac) caps it, BB folds, everyone calls the cap.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 24 sb, 6 players

SB (maniac) checks, UTG (maniac) bets, MP1 (non-mainiac) calls, fold, MP3 (non-maniac) raise, I raised (?), SB(maniac) calls, UTG (maniac) caps, everyone calls.

Turn: [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 22 BB, 5 players

SB (maniac) checks, UTG (maniac) bets, MP1 (non-maniac) raises, MP3 (non-maniac) 3 bets, I call (????), SB (maniac) calls, UTG (maniac) calls, MP1 (non-maniac) caps, MP3 (non-maniac) calls, I call (???), everyone else calls.

With two raises from non-maniacs, should I haved folded here.

River: [7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 42 BB, 5 players

SB (maniac) checks, UTG (maniac) bets, MP1 (non-maniac) raises, MP3 (non-maniac) 3 bets, I fold.

Should I have folded the turn? The flop?

Hand 2:

This is several hours later and almost all the players from the earlier hand are gone. Only one real maniac in this hand, MP1, and one aggressive, but real inexperienced kid that barely looked 21, MP3.

I am UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I limp, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (maniac) raises, fold, MP3 calls, folded around to me, I call, and UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 sb, 4 players

I check (intending to CR), UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets, MP3 raises, I 3 bet, UTG+1 calls 3 cold, MP1 calls, MP3 caps, I call, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

I was pretty sure the maniac would bet, which is why I went for the CR. I was afraid everyone would fold if I bet, but the maniac folded for one more sb after calling 3 sb!
Comments on the check raise vs just betting out here.

The rest of this hand it not very interesting. The board did not pair. The turn got capped 3 ways. Only MP3 called my bet on the river. MP3 did not show his cards, but I am guessing a smaller flush. He grabbed his small remaining stack of chips and left the table after this hand.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: A couple of hands with maniacs

Hand 1 is tough. You're drawing dead to a straight, have 2 outs to beat a set (1 clean out on the turn), and 6 clean on the turn for 2 pair. Maniacs have a tendency to turn other otherwise normal players into lunatics, so if you think MP3 could be getting out of line then I guess I call the turn. If not then I pitch it.

Hand 2: I limp with these kinds of hands frequently UTG in the games I play, but I might consider folding PF on this table. Maniac is going to force you to pay 2 bets far too often to make this profitable. As played, given your position relative to the PFR and the fact that he is betting almost always, I like going for the c/r. Even though things went slightly awry with MP3 raising, I still 3bet since MP1 is probably calling 2 more.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 PM

In hand 1, MP3 had 66 for a flopped set and MP1 had 98 for the straight on the turn. I have no idea what the maniacs had, they did not show their cards. I was drawing to 2 outs on the flop, and drawing dead on the turn.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM

hand 1 is tough. if the nonmaniacs are passive i think we can find a fold on the turn based on the action.

hand 2 i also go for a checkraise on the flop.