Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Dealing with Losing Streaks

I'm down 20 buy-ins at the $5.50 45 mans, relative to my BR's highest point. I'm still finishing in the top 18 regularly, but only made 3 FT's in about the last 30 games; as opposed to making about 35 in the last 100 previous with a 72% ROI. At what point would it be reasonable to say I'm not just running arctic cold, and time to reevaluate?

I keep "firing up another", as they say, only to have it extinguished. I feel like I'm on the tilt-a-whirl... sick. Have this sense like I have to change it up, but I think thats the tilt talking. These games are so ridonkulous, I really don't think I should be changing anything. Def taking a day, probably several off. Also, like to know how most vent. My mouse is hanging on for dear life. =)
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Dealing with Losing Streaks

Pretend as though you are going to send in the Hand History of your next tourney for the forum to review. Act accordingly; try to make every decision correct, tight, simple. It can be easy to start tilt-shoving over flop minraises and playing too loose preflop once you get into a losing streak.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 AM

I think taking a break is a great idea. This is the way i deal with my bad runs. It will reset your mind and you'll come back fresh with a bit more hunger!

And kimbell's advice is a good too!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM

I created a calculator meant specifically for SnGMTT play.

Basically it separates 1/10 of my bankroll off. It cuts that in 1/10 (1% of my total roll). When I lose, the number naturally adjusts down so I drop stakes. When I win, the number adjusts higher. This allows me to take small shots (and most of my profit this month has come from my shots, which have been successful particularly in small variance satellites).

I had a negative month in august and started September with a FT. This calculator kept my losses incredibly minimal and easy to recoup.