Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Dealing with Maniacs or Bullies

Is there a link to a thread that will help me with this one? I play 1.10 NL tournaments and lately I have come across way too many of these types. I held my own against one tonite thanks to advice I received earlier today on betting strategy but not well enough. If you aren't catching great cards-more like late play multi-player cards- how do you deal with these fat-stacked "never see their hand" types? They throw in ridiculous raises and even go all in just to steal the blinds. This guy was to my immediate right most of the night. I've always taken them on when I have acceptable cards but this one today was unbelieveable and I just wasn't catching enough cards to crush him. Not only that? The few hands I did see showed me he was unbelievably lucky. And that's what makes me think there is a winning strategy against him. Honestly? One play will forever stand out. I had J-8 suited. I was BB. He called. I checked. On the river I got nothing. He checked. I was tempted but because I had seen his play for quite a few hands I chose to check. We checked all the way through. The son-of-a-gun had landed two pair on the flop and never bet. My rule of thumb for this situation, since I never hit a pair, is "never bluff a bluffer". He obviously wanted his hand to be shown and his technique worked. The world folded before him. Is it safe to play any old hand against this type or do I just stick to "strong hand" or any pair?
Alice
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Dealing with Maniacs or Bullies

Spend some time in the MTT and STT forums. You, too, can learn to play this way, and win.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 AM

OK, but is this the way to win consistently? Or just a short-term way to build a bankroll and get into higher stakes in tournament play?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:03 AM

Against maniacs and bullies you should not bluff. You should bet marginal hands more and call with more marginal pairs you make on the board.