Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Default NL Cash - I hope that this is standard

I have been playing villain for about 100 hands and am only just getting to grips with him. He has 63/24/8 stats. Yes 8 aggression. He limps a lot and calls a ton OOP. On the flop he will CR min my CB with any pair and any decent draw but than slow down and bet smallish with less than top pair on the turn, I am getting CR on flop close to 50% of the time. I have been having a lot of whiffed flops where I am nowhere near the flop but have just got the match back to even with a calldown with A7 on a Q75J5 board (he CR flop again) and with JJ.

Obviously given his tendancies I am not CB as much as normal where I cannot continue if he raises. I am waiting for anything around 2nd pair+ to punish him with but got bored waiting. I have been very tight for last 50 hands and just tried to make a hand so have got away with a couple of bluffs in that time. Given his stack he must have tilted the crap out of at least one player with his style but he is very bad in truth.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

BB: $1,403.35
Hero (SB): $300.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $6.00</font>, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($12) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $16.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $40.00</font>,

I have a hand with no good outs if called but given how tight I have been in the last 50 hands I hope to get all his marginal hands out and he can almost never have a strong hand here bar a set. Should I be doing this as standard anyway with players who play raise or fold poker?

First time I have played a guy with lose enough stats that I am worried to bluff too much but also had a raise or fold mentality.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: NL Cash - I hope that this is standard

TBH I have tons of problems with guys like these as well. I dont think you fold out much with this tiny reraise. Players like this will call with any K or 7 hoping to catch 2pr on the turn, 86 and 46 prob call this raise too given 150bbs effective stacks

Unless you going to fire again on the turn I would rather raise it up to 54 or something. I dont really like doing this with no real outs against guys like this, I rather concentrate on vbetting him thinner or atleast give yourself 6 outs or more when doing this.

I'd be interested to see what other players have to say about this situation.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM

This is fine. Just don't continue if he calls. And this is a bad hand to make this play with. Why not just call, see how strong his turn lead is, and raise turn if it's weak?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fine. Just don't continue if he calls. And this is a bad hand to make this play with. Why not just call, see how strong his turn lead is, and raise turn if it's weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point but his turn bets have tended to be weak every time I call him he will still rarely bet more than 1/2 pot even with top pair if I call check-raise. Difficult to figure out his hands exactly but his range is wide. Also figured that is was cheaper to 3 bet immediately as there were no draws out on the flop, didn't want him improving a little and sticking around to a turn raise.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:09 PM

I'd probably just fold and repop hands where I'm more confident that I have outs.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Fold PF? Tightening up there will give you a better shot of having a good hand on the flop. Then you can punish more of his stupid C/Rs. Making plays like this is exactly how this guy (temporarily) makes his money. He's probably not gonna fold a 5 here, and you're not gonna bet the turn against him hardly ever. I agree with abcjnich that seeing a turn and making a play there is better than 3balling the flop.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:25 AM

if you're going to bluff-reraise him, this is the flop to do it on.

no real comment on the general validity of the move; calling + raising any turn might be a stronger line.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 AM

Preflop is a classic fold. You only raise this hand against tight players.

I do the same as you did. Almost whenever someone makes a minraise, on a flop like this, you should reraise and hope he folds. On a flop like this, minraise is often a bluff. However, if he calls, I believe you should abort the mission. If he called, it means he wasn't just bluffing and he will probably call you until the end. As jakeduke said, these moves are exactly how this guy makes his money.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Whilst I understand that a player makes his money by people playing back with air surely I have to counter a strategy that sees him check-raising 50% of hands with air at times. If I only fight back with my good hands he is going to kill me HU.

Is J6s really a fold pre-flop. I know the hand is pretty marginal but I raise top 60% against most players and J6s is top 40% or so, so I did kind of tighten up v him.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 PM

You are not looking only at which hands win in showdown a certain % of time, but also at how well you play them postflop. J6s just doesn't play well postflop unless you flop a flush. Against tight players, you can certainly raise, but this doesn't look like a tight player to me.