Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Default General Question flopping a draw out of BB $4.40

I come across this situation fairly often and am unsure of what to do? I tend to check here but this usually results in a close to potsize bet from someone and then I can't really call. Is it better to lead out on a dry board like this where you are less likely to get looked up? Any help would be great

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t1330)
BB (t1430)
UTG (t845)
UTG+1 (t1225)
MP1 (t1275)
MP2 (t1845)
MP3 (t1965)
CO (t3840)
Button (t7545)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: General Question flopping a draw out of BB $4.40

My usual caveat, but...

This deep, I would put in 100 with the intention of folding to a raise or checking the turn if unimproved (check calling or folding depending on pot odds). There's a decent (30%?) chance of taking down a three-way pot here, but also if you get the pot to 250 or 350 on the turn, you can then get another 200-300 in on the turn.

If you check and someone else bets 100 (maybe 50% likely if you check?), then you anyway call, and your in the same position, but having missed the chance to take down the pot. If you check and both villains check behind, you're getting a free card (good), but if you hit you'll have a hard time getting anything out of it (bad).

If someone who knows how to play wants to tell me I'm wrong, I'm happy to listen.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:23 PM

that's good but if they are stations (call w/ any pair) then you can't bet profitably I don't think
Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM

i fold this preflop, but that isn't the issue

there is more than one way to play a good draw

1.) checking - hoping that it is checked through or call a bet along odds/implied odds/outs - i think this is the easiest approach with the least variance - but not the most profitable.

2.) checking - with the intention to check/raise (check/shove). this is a good approach against aggressive or usually c-betting villains. this works good in a pot which was raised preflop by an loose/aggressive opponent and the board has to be somehow appropirate.

3.) betting out - i think this is the most difficult approach and needs a good feeling for the table and some reads on your opponents. it's the riskiest, cause you often need to fire two (sometimes three) barrels. therefor it has the biggest variance, but can be the most profitable, cause if you hit your draw it's disguided and you can stack villains of.

the type of approach you use depends on the table dynamics, your reads, the preflop action and the stack sizes.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:09 PM

i would lead w a flush draw on a non-dangerous or low board. this board connects w all high card holdings and may face similar draws. i would not bet here. i would check call a decent bet and check fold to a decent sized bet on the turn. i may lead if i sense no strength hu on the turn if i pick up a flush draw . its risky (if he shoves im losing a chance to see river). it depends on my read. this sets up a bluff on the river if i feel he doesn't have a king and i whiff. risky but i have balls(or am stupid/wreckless)
Old 09-15-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I come across this situation fairly often and am unsure of what to do? I tend to check here but this usually results in a close to potsize bet from someone and then I can't really call. Is it better to lead out on a dry board like this where you are less likely to get looked up? Any help would be great

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t1330)
BB (t1430)
UTG (t845)
UTG+1 (t1225)
MP1 (t1275)
MP2 (t1845)
MP3 (t1965)
CO (t3840)
Button (t7545)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to play this draw aggressively, you need to make the play that has the most FE. On this board a c/r is the right play. Most limpers will bet any flop if the blinds check it to them, so u should have a good chance of taking the pot down with a decent sized c/r here. The downside is if you're called...how do u proceed on the turn when u miss? If he bets 100/150 and u make it 400/600, pot is going to be 650/950 on the turn and you'll have 900/700 behind. If you check he can bet 450/650 and u have to fold. If u lead out on the turn you're committed, so u might as well shove.

If your opponent folds a better hand x% of the time, playing your draw aggressively will be EV+. If you have a read that opponent can't fold a hand like TPWK or 2nd pair, this play will be EV-.