Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Party 0.25/0.50 JJ

First time I'm doing this so hope it goes ok

Party Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Now, I have trouble playing hands like QQ and JJ when an overcard appears on the board especially if I've already been reraised pre-flop since that puts someone on either a big pair or AK or something like that.

Generally speaking, put down the JJ after the (check-)reraise on the flop or was my reraise correct?

How about the fold, should I have stuck with it here? Obviously the five was scary as well, although it would be unlike someone holding a 3 would still be in this pot, but I was mostly worried of someone holding AA, AK or KK.

BTW the outcome wasn't one I saw coming, it's below in white.

<font color="white">River: (20 BB) 9c (3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks,Button bets, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

UTG+1 shows 23c for a straight, Button shows AK
Guess sometimes it pays to play big with 23c out of position...
</font>

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Party 0.25/0.50 JJ

Definetly dont 3 bet the flop, I am not even sure about betting the flop as against 4 opponents someone will almost always have a ace.

As you played it good turn fold.

Take notes that UTG+1 raises with total crap.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:39 PM

Once you get raised on the flop, you're in trouble. If I'm reading it right, you're getting the odds to call the flopraise for set value, but I fold that turn UI. UTG+1's turn donk makes the decision easy; there's no way he's donking there with just a 5 or a draw. But even if he checks, I check/fold the turn anyway.

I hate playing JJ/QQ/KK with a single overcard on the board as well. Usually, I jam preflop and bet the flop. If I'm raised then I assume I'm behind (unless I have reads telling me that the raiser is too aggresive).
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 PM

Don't three bet the flop. I think you should probably even fold to the raise as based upon the two cold calls there is a very real chance that the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] isn't an out.

Turn fold is good.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a very real chance that the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] isn't an out

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a very good point that can be easily missed in the heat of battle or even completely overlooked by less experienced players. Im reiterating it because checking whether any of my (eg pocket pair) outs would either put a 3 flush or 3 straight on the board is something that took me a while to actually do when at the tables and did cost me money when I thought I had made a winning hand.

Battler

edit: UTG+1 is my hero! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 PM

We could probably check/fold the flop. Lots of people play aces at these levels, and we have a lot of them seeing this flop. We'd be drawing to 2 outs at most. If we give the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] .5 outs (which is friendly), then we'd need (47-1.5)/1.5 = 30.3:1 to call, which, even in this big pot we're not getting enough.

Buzz
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM

Grunch

I wouldn't 3bet flop especially when two others called the 2bets (impossible to protect here &amp; pointless raising for value with an over on the board), generally against unknowns I will bet flop (as you did) &amp; call raise then check/fold turn if UI in this situation.

btw, stick a big note on UTG+1 for that pre-flop play
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 PM

With a raise and 2 cold-calls on the flop, you are almost assuredly beat. Lay it down instead of 3-betting.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:06 AM

grunch.

Button CC'd 3 preflop. Insane.

Because nobody capped behind you preflop, I can see making a continuation bet to rep the A. Unfortunately, the button raised you, after CC'ing 3 preflop. Then the SB calls 2 and the other guy calls 2.

At this point, you are beaten. You have to call though. If the J hits on the turn, it changes the hand a little. 3-betting here is spew.

I fold the turn also, even though we picked up a straight draw. LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I also usually make a comment about the guy being a retard for cold-calling 3. I know I've never found a hand yet where cold-calling 3 preflop was the correct play. Cap or fold.

Bet flop, call raise, fold turn.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM

:grunch:
Preflop was good, and nice flop bet, but when there was a reraise and a call you should have folded. This is probably the case if any over card, comes down.