Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 09:13 PM

Default 200 6max ... push?

Trying to work the overbet push into my game beyond just nut hands and strong two way draws so that that move is a little less predictable from me. UTG has done the flop minraise twice since ive been at the table, once with top pair no kicker and once with 2nd pair top kicker. Is this move ok given my read? Is this move good to set up future play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) converter

Hero ($197)
BB ($81)
UTG ($169.21)
MP ($54)
CO ($85.85)
Button ($394.04)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $8.

Flop: ($22) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
converter messes up here but

UTG checks, Hero bets $18, UTG raises to $36, Hero shoves.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: 200 6max ... push?

Fix your post. You are acting first at the flop.

Assuming you bet out the flop and he raised I would just call here.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM

I hate it. No reason to do this online, where most people won't remember it anyway. Plus, you will have a good shot of getting it all in anyway if you hit, cause he just minraised so he has a big hand.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to work the overbet push into my game beyond just nut hands and strong two way draws so that that move is a little less predictable from me. UTG has done the flop minraise twice since ive been at the table, once with top pair no kicker and once with 2nd pair top kicker. Is this move ok given my read? Is this move good to set up future play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) converter

Hero ($197)
BB ($81)
UTG ($169.21)
MP ($54)
CO ($85.85)
Button ($394.04)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $8.

Flop: ($22) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
converter messes up here but

UTG checks, Hero bets $18, UTG raises to $36, Hero shoves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya just vaporize UTG checks. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 PM

Just call his minraise. You just about have immediate odds (4.2 : 1 = 19% and you are 17% to just hit straight on turn), and its very likely he will [still] be willing to put in a lot of money if/when you do hit, so the bulk of the money will go in with him drawing pretty/very slim or dead. On the other hand if you get called on your push you are most likely in very bad shape and your equity vs his calling range / the size of the pot probably isn't good enough to make up for the times you do get called, and even if it is you still shouldn't do it if the other option being presented to you is that much better.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM

answer just said he MR'ed twice with weak/vunerable hands. seems to me villian mini raises to see where he stands and/or for free cards. If i see someone who plays this way and is okay with folding if 'i tell him he's behind' then i almost always 3 bet (unless the board texture is super sucky or if i would have to do it in a real big pot.)

So i like 3 betting, but the push? i just think thats serious overkill. I'm fairly sure if you 3bet 2/3rds the pot then follow up with a 2/3rd bet on the turn (if called on the flop) you'll take it down.

If you hit your king on the turn/river and are called on the flop and turn i block river. if i hit my ace on the river i'd be fairly certain he has 2p and then i may go all in. if he has kq he won't call any sizeable bet anyway.

my 2c.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Please realize any kind of reasonable 3-bet pot commits villain if he is willing to continue. He only has 124 left after minraising to 36. So if you raise his 36 to even something as small as 80, he is going to be left with 80 if he decides to just call (he is probably pushing or folding the vast majority of the time). The pot would then be 182 with him having 80 behind. And if you raise to 80 and he pushes you will be getting 3.27 : 1 on your call, so now you HAVE to call. Now your stack is in the middle and you are a big underdog. Now step back and look at how much better the other proposition he was offering was.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Wow. I don't like the push at all.

You've shown nothing but strength so far in the hand, and he's willing to min-raise. I think your fold equity is pretty bad. I'd just call and check-raise allin if you hit your hand. Bail if you don't.