Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Legal Re-Raise?

In a 2-5 no limit game, first to act raises to 20 ($15 raise). The next player goes all in for 30 ($10 raise). It's called by the button. The original trys to raise again, is this allowed? The All In player did not make a full raise. Please help!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Legal Re-Raise?

yes legal, you can reraise up to 3 times i belive.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM

The re-raise is legal if thats what you are asking. The call is ok but the original raiser cannot re-raise he can only call. There has not been the minimum re-raise for the original to come back over the top.

I don't think I have said that very clearly and if someone can clarify it might be helpful to the OP
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Do a little searching, as this topic is covered repeatedly throughout the forums. B&M is a great place to look.

For the (semi-)short version...

In NLHE, a bet is made by Player A, say 5. Player B makes it 10 to go. As this is at least as much as the prior bet, it "re-opens" the betting and any player after may raise if so desired. Player C then goes all in for 12. As this is not a raise of at least the minimum (in this case, a raise of 5 to 15) the betting is not reopened. Player A, having been raised at least the minimum, is free to raise if desired. If Player A does not raise, Player B may NOT raise, as the amount raised to him was less than the minimum. He may only call or fold.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Some people were saying that if All In raise was half the original raise or more to allow the original raiser to Re-raise.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Some people were saying that if All In raise was half the original raise or more to allow the original raiser to Re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my understanding, that is correct, but only for Limit HE.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The rule for half a raise allowing re-opening of betting is commonly a rule for Limit holdem. For NL holdem, the rule is usually a full raise (See Robert's Rules of Poker for reference).

Keep in mind that some cardrooms have their own particular rules which do not follow the common ones. As well, if a cardroom does not have it's rules clearly written, people may interpret that the half raise rule applies to both Limit and NL.

For NL tournaments, most places follow the TDA rulebook and this clearly states that a re-raise is only allowed following a full raise all-in (or accumulation of all-in raises which totals a full legal raise).
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The rule for half a raise allowing re-opening of betting is commonly a rule for Limit holdem. For NL holdem, the rule is usually a full raise (See Robert's Rules of Poker for reference).

Keep in mind that some cardrooms have their own particular rules which do not follow the common ones. As well, if a cardroom does not have it's rules clearly written, people may interpret that the half raise rule applies to both Limit and NL.

For NL tournaments, most places follow the TDA rulebook and this clearly states that a re-raise is only allowed following a full raise all-in (or accumulation of all-in raises which totals a full legal raise).

[/ QUOTE ]
Quoting this because many people do not realize that some cardrooms may reopen the betting.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The original trys to raise again, is this allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.