Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Mock baseball contract negotiations - my role in pwning the opponent.

As many of you may know, 2+2 poster beset was a law student in Seattle. While there, he studied sports contracts and negotiation. This was obviously quite fascinating to me, so when he asked me to help him on one of his projects for the class, I jumped at the chance.

He would be pitted against a team representative who would be trying to re-sign our client to avoid salary arbitration, while he (the player agent) would be attempting to maximize the client's payday.

Initial offer by the team representative was a one-year non-guaranteed contract of $450,000, which was obviously pretty ridiculous given that the player in question posted some pretty good numbers (as can be seen in the memo that I will link shortly).

My strategy to maximize the player's earnings was to find comparable players in the MLB that were paid well and to find good PECOTA matches to show that the player that beset was representing showed good value for the team. In doing so, I found a good comparable in Brandon Lyon for his upside, and also showed how much Jae Seo was being paid despite our client's (Jacob Sandoval) abilities and stats. Using the data I gave beset, he was able to negotiate a sickeningly good contract with terms that I'm pretty sure don't exist for anyone in the MLB currently. Examples include "Guaranteed No Minor League Demotion" and a limited NTC for a player who hasn't even completed arbitration. It's obvious that the opponent was underprepared and got totally owned, but it was interesting work nonetheless for me.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhdjq6qs_2vzxp96 - This is the memo written by beset with Jacob's stats and beset's presentation

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhdjq6qs_3cdfjgv - This is the contract signed and agreed to by both parties

Just thought I'd share this with you guys, since some of you might find it interesting.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Mock baseball contract negotiations - my role in pwning the opponent.

[ QUOTE ]

4 These projections were obtained using the deadly accurate PECOTA system developed by Nate Silver of Baseball Prospectus. See http://baseballprospectus.com/pecota/seoja01.php.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, "deadly accurate."

Just read the memo, thought it was interesting although a little less formal than I would have expected. Interesting class though.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Mock baseball contract negotiations - my role in pwning the oppone

I hope the team representative failed, a guaranteed no minor clause and a NTC is absolutely hilarious.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 AM

You say that win loss record and era don't accurately reflect the pitchers performance (Im with you on win/loss,less so on era but it definately has its flaws) but state that he deserves extra compensation for being on a playoff team. This strikes me as saying what his teammates do can only be used to help him and not hurt him. Did the team rep bring this up at all? You also used good examples of why his era was higher than it should be, but did the team rep mention the factors that would help lower his era (8 million feet of foul terrotory,if hes a fly ball pitcher the infield defense would hurt him less than if he was groudball pitcher etc.) Was he supposed to be extra tough on lefties?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the team representative failed, a guaranteed no minor clause and a NTC is absolutely hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea lol

you may also want to grammar check your contract... there's some errors. im not being a nit... just not sure if you are going to hand that in or not
Old 09-14-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea lol

you may also want to grammar check your contract... there's some errors. im not being a nit... just not sure if you are going to hand that in or not

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the impression that this project is already completed as is the class that it was for.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT...I can't think of the last pre-FA player to receive any type of NTC.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Negotiations was by far the best and easiest class I took in law school. It was graded on pass/fail and everyone that showed up got a pass.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An additional $1,000 bonus for each game appeared in up to 60 games (total value $10,000)

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand the math here. shouldnt the total value be 60k?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:47 PM

No, because he gets 50k for hitting the 50 games mark.