Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Am Tilt Madness

I was at the final table of a free roll and 2nd in chips with roughly 1.2 million it was 5:45 am and had been up all night with about 90 minutes to go before I had to leave for work. I needed to get an hour nap in so I wouldn't kill myself driving in to work. Anyway, the chip leader had about 1.6 million and the rest of the stacks were 150k to roughly 500k, to make a long story short I pushed all in with A Q and was called by the chip leader with KJ flop came AJJ and I was busted. I had waited for a decent hand to go all in with since the chip leader had pushed in 11 times in a row and was just running away with the blinds. So I finished 7th however I think the better play would have been to put myself on auto fold and and get my much needed sleep since my stack was more then double that of the 3rd largest stack(500k) I probably could have auto folded myself to at least 3rd place finish the blinds were 10/20k and were raising every 10 mins. Any thoughts on this and the math behind such and idea would also be helpful
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Am Tilt Madness

Wow, hard to read.

General advice, and this should seem obvious, but don't bother playing in a tournament that you won't be able to see through to the end.

No bother even doing the math. Open shoving AQ with a 1.2 million stack with 10k/20k blinds is just awful, you were in great shape and should not have been in any kind of hurry at all. Plus, if the big stack is shoving all in constantly, you're far better off exploiting his confused donk play. Obvioulsy you could just snap him with a pair of Js or whatever next time he open shoves his stack.

Both of you had good, healthy, deep stacks and weren't anywhere remotely near the point where you should be shoving AQ preflop. Yes, you got your money in a little ahead, but given the situation you could picked a much better spot. Against a player that bad, I wouldn't dream of putting my tourny life in the hands of AQ - at least not when that deep stacked.

Honestly, there's so much wrong here it would be too much to explain it all in this thread. My recommendation is to pick up both of Dan Harrington's books and read those. The second book in particular will help you most.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My recommendation is to pick up both of Dan Harrington's books and read those.

[/ QUOTE ]

And everybody else who wants to play poker should do the same. Brilliant books
Old 09-14-2007, 06:20 AM

should have phoned in sick
Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't bother playing in a tournament that you won't be able to see through to the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I should have played the tournament when I had time to complete it but as you well know the conditions are not always optimal.

So the question still stands, would it have been better to leave it on auto fold which would eventually blind out some of the smaller stacks? I did not have the time available to wait for stronger hands to grind the guy down with.

[ QUOTE ]
should have phoned in sick

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have called in, but do not have any bank days remaining.

Thank you for the advice, I will pick up both books this weekend any other texts you could recommend?