Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Default 200NL - So I\'m a Calling Station

Another one of these stupid hands. Villain is thinking TAG and we've played together alot. IMO he is very aware that the best hand I can have here is a 9 (possibly 9T) but that's the only 2pair hand in my range.

Ill explain my thought process after afew responses.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $165.67
BB: $537.80
UTG: $194.00
MP: $192.55
CO: $200.00
Hero (BTN): $208.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $7.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($17) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $14.00</font>, Hero calls $14.00

Turn: ($45) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $36.00</font>, Hero calls $36.00

River: ($117) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $90.00</font>, Hero calls $90.00

Pot Size: $297.00 ($3 Rake)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: 200NL - So I\'m a Calling Station

you guys both put yourselves on AK
Old 09-14-2007, 12:23 AM

i can understand calling flop and turn, since flop is a cbet and turn is a dbl barrel sometimes, but river would not be a great triple barrel in general

i think he either has a rivered T, a flush or a 9
Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 AM

Don't call the turn unless you're calling the river.

This hand doesn't look that bad really. But then again, you would need some history of him being capable of doing this with a naked high spade.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 AM

me too
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 AM

welp. the way the preflop/flop action went my range looks pretty small (66-88, mayb 9x - although im 3betting 98/9T but he may think I just call with it).

After I call flop my hand looks super weak (although I may possibly have a draw). Villain thinks spade on the turn looks good for him, semi-bluffs with any Qs+ (so AK, AQ, KQ, QJ, also some others with a high spade) cos I can't call with my crappy pair. I call, my hand still looks super weak (at this point he discounts flushes, set and probably 2 pair from my range)

Now on river an overcard comes. And I think betsizing is important here. The size of his bet kinda makes it look pretty close to nuts/air (ie. set+, mayb JJ+ but most tags are retarded when it comes to valuebetting light). now that big of a bet basically folds out my whole range. Even 9T would be a pretty tough call because imo it's almost the same as 77.

So why would he put out such a huge bet with a made hand when it folds out my whole range? Only thing I can think of is that he's releveling me, but I don't think he's good enough for that.

So there's my thinking. Does this seem ok, or flawed somewhere?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 AM

well.... once you call the turn, he expects that you'll call the river no mater what if you had a made hand on the turn, and you'll fold the river no matter what if you had a draw on the trun...... so i don't think you can read that much into his bet sizing on the river.... unless he KNOWS you're calling down w/ 77...... which he doesn't
Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 AM

&lt;shrug&gt;. You gotta do what you gotta do. I think he either has a monster or air, and this seems like an OK board for him to triple barrel (cb -&gt; "ooh, I turned a spade draw, 2nd barrel" -&gt; "I missed my draws, BLUFF").

If I'm running good I call and win, if I'm running bad I either call and lose or fold and get shown a bluff.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 AM

yeh I think the way he's thinking goes like this

turn - 'cool, lets semi bluff now. his hand is weak so spade might scare him off, if not i could hit.'

river - 'alright there's an overcard. I've already bet 2 streets so I'm repping a pretty huge hand (flush/set) he's got a weak hand and probably has to fold. Ill bet big though just to make sure'

pretty sure he doesn't think - 'i have a flush. he has a weak hand and the turn/river cards are bad for his hand. VALUETOWN BABY, lets bet big'

[ QUOTE ]
once you call the turn, he expects that you'll call the river no mater what if you had a made hand on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. if i was a fish/non thinking player then maybe.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeh I think the way he's thinking goes like this

turn - 'cool, lets semi bluff now. his hand is weak so spade might scare him off, if not i could hit.'

river - 'alright there's an overcard. I've already bet 2 streets so I'm repping a pretty huge hand (flush/set) he's got a weak hand and probably has to fold. Ill bet big though just to make sure'

pretty sure he doesn't think - 'i have a flush. he has a weak hand and the turn/river cards are bad for his hand. VALUETOWN BABY, lets bet big'

[ QUOTE ]
once you call the turn, he expects that you'll call the river no mater what if you had a made hand on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. if i was a fish/non thinking player then maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

the turn is way scarier than the river, if you call the turn, you will very often call the river, if you weren't drawing on the turn