Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Default 50NL KK--pot control or stack off?

Villain is 40/0/0 over 70 hands.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $43.55
BB: $62.75
Hero (UTG): $57.40
CO: $55.90
BTN: $54.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, 3 folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $4.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10.00</font>, BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($24.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, BB calls $15.00

River: ($54.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Pot Size: $54.25 ($2 Rake)

Overbet donk is atypical for him. He's fully capable of having 94o here for two pair, as well as TT-AA. Top pair seems unlikely, and I doubt he'll call off much if he has anything worse than that.

Flop minraise for information/value, I decided facing his donk I didn't want to immediately throw pot control to the wind and try to make this an all-in pot. Board played out poorly so I continued playing for pot control.

Is this losing value vs. such a station?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: 50NL KK--pot control or stack off?

I think I would raise more on the flop and check behind on the turn rather than on the river.

While the turn pairing the board isn't "scary" for us, if you check behind villain may think it scared you or think that his TT is good and lead it on the river. You can snap call his bluff/mistaken value bet there.

Sherman
Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you check behind villain may think that his TT is good and lead it on the river. You can snap call his bluff/mistaken value bet there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's worth the risk of missed value against a calling station with an aggression factor of 0?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM

I think this is fine. Villain is almost never bluffing on the river, taking away some of the value of a chk behind for pot control. If we bet the turn and this villain raises (40/0/0!) then we can safely drop it.

I know 40 hands isn't much, but not one raise in 6+ rounds of play? I think we can call it a solid read.

What really surprises me here is that I don't even mind the flop raise size. It seems to make sense.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you check behind villain may think that his TT is good and lead it on the river. You can snap call his bluff/mistaken value bet there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's worth the risk of missed value against a calling station with an aggression factor of 0?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. You are right. Now that I really think about the villain, this line is probably perfect. Seems like the type to check-call/check-call/go-for-check-raise on the river if he hits his hand.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would raise more on the flop and check behind on the turn rather than on the river.

While the turn pairing the board isn't "scary" for us, if you check behind villain may think it scared you or think that his TT is good and lead it on the river. You can snap call his bluff/mistaken value bet there.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm more scared of bets against this villain than I am of calls. Inducing a bet with a worse hand isn't correct against this villain. And when the river coems as it did, I have to check it down anyways.