Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 AM

Default trips, weak kicker against solid tag

villain is tkdcrew, have him at 18/15/2.2 or so over about 500 hands. no further read, really. my image is slightly looser but still tight, 19/16/4.5 maybe.

i check this flop sometimes, but this time i elected to bet. plan for the rest of the hand?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $352.40
BB: $411.00
Hero (UTG): $406.00
MP: $253.80
CO: $811.40
BTN: $313.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $14.00</font>, 2 folds, BTN calls $14.00, SB folds, BB calls $10.00

Flop: ($44) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $26.00</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $80.00</font>
Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: trips, weak kicker against solid tag

what was your thought process behind betting and how did you plan to react to a raise or call? I think I would check behind against this solid player because I don't really want to play a big pot in this spot.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with giving one free card here either. In terms of his range I would way his hand range toward not having an Ace because the frequency of calls from the blind that are aces for a player like this is a decent amount lower then the frequency of other hands that do not include an Ace in my opinion (especialy since u have an ace)
Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 AM

checking behind might be better, yeah. fwiw the bet was a straight value bet. i had a plan for the rest of the hand, but i want to see what others would do here.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 AM

I would bet more on the flop, but whatever.

Flop seems like a standard call. Lots of draws he could have and it's a pretty good board to bluff raise, especially if he believes he can get you off anything worse than a good ace.

I'd fold the turn if another diamond hits, and probably call again if he bets or even shove. Really hard to say though, I'm just not the type who folds too often.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 AM

yeah, flop bet should've been bigger. brain fart. pretty sure i should be calling the flop raise, so i'll go ahead and post the turn action.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $352.40
BB: $411.00
Hero (UTG): $406.00
MP: $253.80
CO: $811.40
BTN: $313.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $14.00</font>, 2 folds, BTN calls $14.00, SB folds, BB calls $10.00

Flop: ($44) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $26.00</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $80.00</font>, Hero calls $54.00

Turn: ($204) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $151.00</font>
Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 AM

I like your flop bet size &amp; call.
Villain firing again on a turn blank isn't good for you. You're probably outkicked so I'd fold. I definitely don't think a call is good.. this is a classic spot where he could fire a 3rd barrel on river. He knows that you know he's decent and playing strong from BB. Shoving turn would make him fold most hands similar to yours but I sense strength from him.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 AM

bet more on flop, as played call raise, fold turn