Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM

Default How much does mult-tabling affect your \"poker education?\"

Lately I have been multi-tabling ring games at Bodog and the play can be so erratic that I basically sit back and wait for a soft spot to get my money in. I am playing ABC poker for the most part (set mining and the like), I will pick off the occassional bluff when I spot a weak C-bet and I'm doing very well there. However, I am not improving on picking up reads on other players.

Does your Multi-tabling affect your improvement as an overall poker player? I eventually will switch to FTP to take advantage of their deposit bonus, but feel that since the play is tighter I will have to "play more poker" and not wait for the soft spot.

Any suggestions, ideas on Multitabling or reads?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: How much does mult-tabling affect your \"poker education?\"

Well, the villains multitabling is quite an interesting read IMO.

If they play tight-aggressiv ABC on 12 tables, I fold to any check-raise if I donīt have the nuts or close to it, but if they bet out, I raise a lot of their c-bets very light.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Hoogus,

I've been contemplating exactly the same thing lately. I've finally figured out how to play up to 8 or 9 tables, but at the same time, I wonder whether I'm ever going to be rolled to get out of 10NL. At my level there are so many really terrible donks. They call with any piece and there is zero FE. I think playing tight ABC poker may be the only real way to escape the micros.

Unfortunately, multi-tabling and plain-Jane ABC feels like I may be somewhat stunting my growth as a player. However, unless I am willing to just buy my way out of the micros (which I'm doggedly determined not to do), the skills and techniques which will really be useful down the road just aren't helpful here.

I vacillate with what to do, but I think right now my plan is to play 4 tables and to try to merge the best of both worlds. I can tile 4 tables on my laptop with no overlap so I think I can work on my reads and playing the players while I get some of the benefits of multi-tabling, i.e., more experience more quickly, lesser possibility of getting bored and playing recklessly.

I'll admit I'm constantly thinking and rethinking my game though, so by October I may have another strategy. However, this is my gameplan for now at least. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM

multitabling is good for hammering home good solid ABC poker and building a BR. It'll serve you well up to nl100, and some games/sites of nl200. But some games of nl200 and most NL400 and above games, you need to really start using reads and stuff beyond level 0 thinking.

That's my very humble opinion.

You can get the best of both, by sometimes multitabling, sometimes 1-2 tabling. That way you keep developing, but you're getting through the volumes. I, for example, sometimes 12 table, sometimes 4-table, and sometimes 1- or 2-table. At 1-table, my WR is much higher than when I 12 table, but in terms of winnings per hour, when I'm running okay, 12-table makes more.

It has to be said when 1-tabling, even on a bad day, I never lose much.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM

If your worried about getting out of the micros I find multi-tabling is the only way. Although as you mentioned you can't focus on certain things but at the lower levels ABC is the best strategy.

I cleared 10NL using four tables and playing ABC, with a focus on position and odds. As mentioned it will hammer down a solid basic strategy that will help you mroe than you think.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your worried about getting out of the micros I find multi-tabling is the only way. Although as you mentioned you can't focus on certain things but at the lower levels ABC is the best strategy.

I cleared 10NL using four tables and playing ABC, with a focus on position and odds. As mentioned it will hammer down a solid basic strategy that will help you mroe than you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Northern. There is just no need to try to put moves on opponents who are thinking only on Level 1 terms. And this describes the micros to a T. That being the case, it's not hard to play ABC poker and multi-table.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

When people say ABC, does that mean you lot runn about 12/8 or similiar?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM

That's what it means to me Teddie.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM

To me ABC is something from 12-20 vpip and 8-15 pfr. Seems like a wide range, but you can play pretty abc with anywhere in that range. Its about not pulling too many big bluffs etc. but you have to be able to 2 barrel and stuff which is still an elementary concept. I think it takes much longer to improve if you're mulititabling.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 PM

i put moves on fools. I still get mad when idiots call me down weak.