Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Default TP w QJ facing a flop raise

I havn't noticed anything special about villian, so I asume he is solid.
My stack is ~90bb and villian has me covered.

$1/2 6 handed

Preflop: UTG calls, Villian calls, I raise to $14 Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from HJ, UTG folds and Villian call.

Flop (pot $28): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Villian checks, I bet $22, Villan raise to $65 and I?

What do I put him on?
If he has a Jack my kicker should be better.
If its a flushdraw we are about even money.
A set would be not so nice.
Could he have someting else?

Is QJs a bad hand to raise like this preflop? Considering that when I get a caller and hit top pair I don't really know what shape im in.
Or maybe it doesn't matter because the actual hand strength is unimportant in most cases?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: TP w QJ facing a flop raise

[ QUOTE ]
What do I put him on?
If he has a Jack my kicker should be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, I don't know. He did call an additional $12 (6 BBs!) preflop. People tend to have a hand when they do that, unless they're LAGgy or fishy, and your tentative read is that Villain is solid. I wouldn't make too much of his overlimp prior to your raise.

[ QUOTE ]
If its a flushdraw we are about even money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are if Villain has something to go with the flush draw (such as a gutshot or an A or K). Probably he would, too, given the preflop action.

[ QUOTE ]
A set would be not so nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is a possibility for Villain.

[ QUOTE ]
Could he have someting else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible he's making a play or thinks your AK missed and is now checkraising his 33. But neither of those things is my first thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Is QJs a bad hand to raise like this preflop? Considering that when I get a caller and hit top pair I don't really know what shape im in.
Or maybe it doesn't matter because the actual hand strength is unimportant in most cases?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true that far fewer hands go to showdown in NL than in limit, but, still, on those relatively rare occasions when you're playing in a huge pot, it's nice to actually have the goods. So I wouldn't discount your hand strength too much when deciding what to play.

Anyway, I think QJs is a legit hand for you to raise with, but you should keep in mind when raising such a hand that you're probably not a preflop favorite (to end up with the best hand) if you get called.

As for the hand in question, I probably fold to the checkraise, given that this is a bad reverse-implied odds situation for you. But I don't really know how the 1/2 plays (I've been playing in the micros so far, which is very trappy and generally not so bluffy), so I'm not confident about that advice.