Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Default A suggestion to help in the battle against online cheaters

standard disclaimer that I realize you can never completely stop online cheating etc etc etc.

I would like to see online gambling sites add a feature to their software that gives a visual indicator letting players know if 2 or more people at a table share the same IP.

I would also like to see them add a visual indicator that lets others know if a person has an IM client open. Even better, give us a visual indicator if a person has an IM client open with a connection to the same IP as someone else at the table.

All of these suggestions would be fairly easy to implement, and they would give people more discretion in deciding which tables they want to play. It would also allow people who inadvertently go to the same table from the same IP to realize this and switch tables so as to avoid suspicion if they so choose.

This doesn't stop cheating, but it gives players the ability to avoid some of the common situations in which casual and opportunistic cheating occurs.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: A suggestion to help in the battle against online cheaters

[ QUOTE ]
standard disclaimer that I realize you can never completely stop online cheating etc etc etc.

I would like to see online gambling sites add a feature to their software that gives a visual indicator letting players know if 2 or more people at a table share the same IP.

I would also like to see them add a visual indicator that lets others know if a person has an IM client open. Even better, give us a visual indicator if a person has an IM client open with a connection to the same IP as someone else at the table.

All of these suggestions would be fairly easy to implement, and they would give people more discretion in deciding which tables they want to play. It would also allow people who inadvertently go to the same table from the same IP to realize this and switch tables so as to avoid suspicion if they so choose.

This doesn't stop cheating, but it gives players the ability to avoid some of the common situations in which casual and opportunistic cheating occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) sites don't allow players with the same ip to sit at the same table

2) I don't not want my poker client to do anything in my computer besides what I installed it to do.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) sites don't allow players with the same ip to sit at the same table

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true for MTTs, they definately allow it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 PM

I like your ideas in theory. It would be interesting to see if they could be implemented. One potential problem I see concerns the IM clients. There are many more ways to chat in real time than MSN or ICQ on the internet (i.e. mIRC). Is it possible to trace these? Also cheaters could just resoort to using cell phones. Interesting points though. Worthy of more discussion I believe.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your ideas in theory. It would be interesting to see if they could be implemented. One potential problem I see concerns the IM clients. There are many more ways to chat in real time than MSN or ICQ on the internet (i.e. mIRC). Is it possible to trace these? Also cheaters could just resoort to using cell phones. Interesting points though. Worthy of more discussion I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just have your IM running on another computer.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:30 PM

It's incredible how everyone so freely accepts that a poker client has the right to check your running processes and internet traffic.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's incredible how everyone so freely accepts that a poker client has the right to check your running processes and internet traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. It is an exe running on your machine, so it has the ability to do anything that code is allowed to do on your machine. As far as rights go, the Terms and Conditions one accepts gives them the right...
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just have your IM running on another computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having your IM running on another machine is an extra hurdle that, while easy to overcome, will decrease the number of casual, opportunistic cheaters. Again, you cannot stop the determined car thief, but if you close your windows, lock your doors, and keep valuables out of site when you leave your car, your chances of suffering a loss are dramatically reduced.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. It is an exe running on your machine, so it has the ability to do anything that code is allowed to do on your machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

What any application "can" is not important in this discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as rights go, the Terms and Conditions one accepts gives them the right...

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is: everyone seems to have no problems accepting it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most honeset people don't fear these kind of things - and don't adhere to the 'slippery slope' argument. I would have no problem with it.