Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Default flop top 2, face turn raise

Villain is 45/5/.6 over 50 hands, no notes on him.

Should I 3-bet this turn? So often, when I told top pair and villain takes a line like this it means they hit the turn big, 2 pair or better.

Thoughts?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: flop top 2, face turn raise

it's fine. most villains don't bluff a turned ace because they aren't smart enough to -- the ace definitely helped his hand in some way. given that he has some sort of hand on the flop, he has aces up a lot of the time. if he only has top pair then his flop play is weird, but there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's fine. most villains don't bluff a turned ace because they aren't smart enough to -- the ace definitely helped his hand in some way. given that he has some sort of hand on the flop, he has aces up a lot of the time. if he only has top pair then his flop play is weird, but there's nothing you can do about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

??

the pot is 3handed and is check the the flop bettor ... he doesn't need much of hand to bet the flop .. nor do we need two pair to check raise or top pair

yeah the ace does help him on the turn ... but we easily have a much strong hand

a 3bet is easy (he isn't folding an ace)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 AM

3-bet yeah.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 AM

I think calling down is ok against a player like that since aces up is more likely than a lone ace given his flop play.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

??

the pot is 3handed and is check the the flop bettor ... he doesn't need much of hand to bet the flop .. nor do we need two pair to check raise or top pair

yeah the ace does help him on the turn ... but we easily have a much strong hand

a 3bet is easy (he isn't folding an ace)

[/ QUOTE ]

he is not c-betting flop since it was limped pf and when a passive player leads the flop like this he usually have some kind of hand. When the same passive player raises the turn it looks a lot like MPTK hitting 2-pair. Could be a lone ace sometimes but often passive players would c/c flop with A-high. 3-betting is a spew agains a passive player IMO.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting is a spew agains a passive player IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 PM

I vote for just a calldown rather than a 3bet.

I agree that a passive player could bet this flop in position with just A high, I see it all the time. I just don't think a passive player would raise the turn with something like A8. Looks like aces up to me. Possibly 22 or 77. Once in a while complete air. Plus a 3bet will get you capped when you're beat.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting is a spew agains a passive player IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im glad im not the only one that thinks this.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm glad to see the consensus is that I played the hand correctly. Unfortunately, villain showed up with A8 here, and I felt like I had missed an opportunity to gain another bet or too, but I agree, more often than not he has aces up here.