Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Default 99 flops bottom set

Villain is, in my opinion, a very good tag player, stats of 25/18/3.8 over 160 hands.

Observations on all streets appreciated.

1)Should I 3-bet this pf?
2)Standard to cap this flop against someone so aggressive?
3)Turn play? He raised from the button, so his range is wider, and I would say it includes Q-10, KJ, along with the other big hands that hit this flop hard.
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: 99 flops bottom set

1. of course you should reraise this preflop. you crush.
2. dunno. probably decent argument for call, c/r.
3. turn play is standard. QT is lots of combones.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM

I don't mind 3-betting this pre-flop. The rest of the hand plays itself I think. What else are you going to do?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM

1) Yes! There is a lot of talk about raising and 3-betting medium pairs OOP. But here your eq edge is really huge and you stand to win position on the flop quite a lot as button will be folding fairly often

2) Call flop and c/r turn. But you better be sure that villan doesnt take a free card. If he has AK he will sometimes check when a Q or T turns. Even if he doesnt check often it really sucks when he does as the "wait for turn" only wins 1 extra SB while you miss 3 SB when he checks behind.

3) As played turn is a standard b/c. JJ, KK and QT is 22 combos and just way to many for you to put in any more action. Its actually a good exercise to count combos at the table. Get use to it and you will quickly realize that your eq is not good enough to 3 bet turn after this action since the straight hands are so many - 16 combos of QT vs 18 combos of KJ and K9, add in 3 each of JJ and KK and you realize that you are a dog.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)Its actually a good exercise to count combos at the table. Get use to it and you will quickly realize that your eq is not good enough to 3 bet turn after this action since the straight hands are so many - 16 combos of QT vs 18 combos of KJ and K9, add in 3 each of JJ and KK and you realize that you are a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like excellent advice, and definitley not something I had thought about before. Thanks very much for pointing this out.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Call flop and c/r turn. But you better be sure that villan doesnt take a free card. If he has AK he will sometimes check when a Q or T turns. Even if he doesnt check often it really sucks when he does as the "wait for turn" only wins 1 extra SB while you miss 3 SB when he checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you talk yourself out from the c/r turn line here Oink. Also I don't mind if we can fold out a player on flop and get it HU on a drawy board like this.

pf is a raise
Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you talk yourself out from the c/r turn line here Oink. Also I don't mind if we can fold out a player on flop and get it HU on a drawy board like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt advocating the c/r turn line. Just saying it is an alternative [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and saying when to use it.

Oh and BTW. When it is hero's turn it is already HU. But I agree if hero can face someone with two bets by capping the flop you should definetely cap the flop. ALWAYS JAM THE FLOP MULTIWAY WITH MONSTERS
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt advocating the c/r turn line. Just saying it is an alternative [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and saying when to use it.

Oh and BTW. When it is hero's turn it is already HU. But I agree if hero can face someone with two bets by capping the flop you should definetely cap the flop. ALWAYS JAM THE FLOP MULTIWAY WITH MONSTERS

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why but somehow I thought you ment to call the first bet on flop and then c/r. Damn do you mean we agree again? This is getting scary Oink...